Major Bandera Overhaul

L

ltleftylt

I just rebuilt my Fire Box. Changed the dimensions. Let me know what you think? 22" deep X 30" Long X 16" wide. Cover is 12" high X 25" Long X 16 wide. Big enough to put in rotisserie and have a nice spot for the motor to sit. Yes it is big, added a controlable stack also. Smoker Box is being rebuilt also, 1 foot taller. Box and stand should be completed at the end of the week. Here is the nice part. 18 guage Stainless steel. Just over an 1/8th inch thick. Anybody else gone this route yet? Or maybe I have lost my mind.

Rebuilt? What will be left from the original? Seriously though, sounds awesome.

I kept the door handles. Thats about it. I could poke holes in the firebox with a pen. I cant tell you how many times it has been sanded and painted. I was the second owner, guessing it is about 7 or 8 years old.

If all goes as planned, I should have it set up in the back yard this weekend. I will post some pics once I get it all put back together.

im working on the same thing. But the final box will be 3/8 inch steel. the cook chamber we will be reinforcing and adding some 1/4" steel plate to it, but im leaving its original box for the most part. (I want it to BE A BANDERA). Frame is being converted to mount into a hitch for transport and few other tweaks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20976

Sounds cool. I've lined my entire firebox with thin stainless steel sheets and, hopefully, won't have to rebuid a box for several more years. When I do have to, I have a spare unused bandera firebox and I'll just changeover the stainless steel sheets before I use it.

I concur on the shorter lids. I am planning on having a plate that will fit inside the lid. This way I can still add coals or wood when I lift the lid and do away with the high ceiling when smoking. As I stated before, the high ceiling will be for the rotissorie attachment. Anybody have thoughts or experience with a rotissorie inside the smoke chamber?

ltleftylt said:
I concur on the shorter lids. I am planning on having a plate that will fit inside the lid. This way I can still add coals or wood when I lift the lid and do away with the high ceiling when smoking. As I stated before, the high ceiling will be for the rotissorie attachment. Anybody have thoughts or experience with a rotissorie inside the smoke chamber?

we beat the subject to death a coupla years back. Try the search function.

OMG.. i remember that.. The rotiserre in the bandera, then the vertical spinners, and the convection fan.. Was it here, or when we were the yahoo brethren?

i think the conclusion was, dont bother. WE were mounting motors outside the chambers, multiple heights... We really beat that one up.

Well, lots of info available here for sure. I just threw out an old Big George Forman. I should have kept the motor off that unit. Didnt feel like playing with it anymore. The last Turkey I cooked on it was about 3/4 cooked when the control panel started arcing and sparking. Finished that turkey in the oven.
I guess I will play with the rotisserie on my own. It will not be in the smoker side. Yet HEHEHEHE.

As for the verticle idea, it may help with evening out the cooking temps, but I dont see how it would be any help to the rotisserie process. The idea is to turn the birds or meat on a horizontal plane. This way the juices continue to stay in the product. I like turned birds. Need to add some smoke flavor though.

Weekend has come and gone. No smoker in the yard. Guess that what happens when you party to hard on friday night and cant get out of bed the next day. Sunday came and decided to spend it at the bottom of the ocean. If there was only a way to grill at 40 feet. Saw a couple nice fish that would have filled the bandera. No spear gun. Left it behind the seat. Almost a given to see the big ones when you leave the gun in the truck. Probably better that way, my wife dont care for the sharks following behind waiting for a free meal. Maybe have some pics by this next weekend. Pics of new grill and some ribs. And some chickens too I guess.

ltleftylt said:
Weekend has come and gone. No smoker in the yard. Guess that what happens when you party to hard on friday night and cant get out of bed the next day. Sunday came and decided to spend it at the bottom of the ocean. If there was only a way to grill at 40 feet. Saw a couple nice fish that would have filled the bandera. No spear gun. Left it behind the seat. Almost a given to see the big ones when you leave the gun in the truck. Probably better that way, my wife dont care for the sharks following behind waiting for a free meal. Maybe have some pics by this next weekend. Pics of new grill and some ribs. And some chickens too I guess.

Sounds like a good life. Hat's off to you.

Back