MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #1066
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have a real problem with the whole running out of food thing, that is a pet peeve. I guess in BBQ that is a normal and accepted practice, it still bothers me.
It is common in BBQ because the meats must be slow-cooked. As you know, you can't pop it on the grill and have it done in 10 minutes.

Our OP is a bright fellow, and he is figuring it out very quickly - run the smoker 24-7, prep non-temperature sensitive foods a couple of days in advance, etc.

Suggestion, the days your are closed might be great days to prep the slaw, beans, etc for the week.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #1067
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I'm still in a state of shock. It's almost hard to believe that I'm running a BBQ joint and serving hundreds of people. It's finally starting to sink in and it's amazing.

I didn't find out until late today, but apparently two local news shows promoted the restaurant and talked about winning the chili cook-off on their morning shows. Very cool. And a radio station came in today and talked about doing a remote at the restaurant, which would be extra cool.

While things went quite smoothly today, it's clear that I'm under staffed. Of course, the volume I'm seeing is double what I planned on, but I need to bring on another person or two. Even if it's just washing dishes, that would help a ton. So I've got to make some calls tomorrow.

All in all, the troubles we've gone through seem like a distant memory. Seeing people lined up out the door, and seeing people who come in every single day to eat here, it's almost overwhelming. I only expected a fraction of this.

Sure, five hours of sleep a night sucks, but nothing makes you want to get out of bed more than putting smiles on people's faces.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #1068
tb80
Take a breath!

Glad to hear it is going so well.
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 AM   #1069
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Awesome to hear things are going so well. Thanks for stopping back in!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #1070
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

At the risk of sounding like my brother Bbq Bubba, OUTSTANDING!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #1071
insaneh
Full Fledged Farker

That is great news.
Here's to much and continued success!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #1072
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Outstanding! Glad to hear about your well-deserved success

Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #1073
Flash Point
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
So pumped about this. Prized Pig BBQ opened! The pork was great. Probably the best ribs I've ever had. Cornbread is sweet to the taste... only thing missin is sweet tea. Will definitely be going back!
Wait... What? You put sugar in your cornbread and none in your tea?

Kidding, mostly, a little. I think. This is awesome to read.
Flash Point is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #1074
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Point View Post
Wait... What? You put sugar in your cornbread and none in your tea?

Kidding, mostly, a little. I think. This is awesome to read.
Sweet tea is really a big thing this far north (I assume it is the same even further north). I would have to say that it is becoming more popular though.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #1075
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

This is one of my all time favorite threads - for all the different interests I have.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Keep them coming
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #1076
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I am following you on FB and its awesome to hear your success, now if we can get Bigmistas up and running it will be a double brethren success!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #1077
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I'm still in a state of shock. It's almost hard to believe that I'm running a BBQ joint and serving hundreds of people. It's finally starting to sink in and it's amazing.

I didn't find out until late today, but apparently two local news shows promoted the restaurant and talked about winning the chili cook-off on their morning shows. Very cool. And a radio station came in today and talked about doing a remote at the restaurant, which would be extra cool.

While things went quite smoothly today, it's clear that I'm under staffed. Of course, the volume I'm seeing is double what I planned on, but I need to bring on another person or two. Even if it's just washing dishes, that would help a ton. So I've got to make some calls tomorrow.

All in all, the troubles we've gone through seem like a distant memory. Seeing people lined up out the door, and seeing people who come in every single day to eat here, it's almost overwhelming. I only expected a fraction of this.

Sure, five hours of sleep a night sucks, but nothing makes you want to get out of bed more than putting smiles on people's faces.
It is better to have a busy restaurant, than an empty one that is for sure.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #1078
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Glad to hear everything is going well! I am hoping to make a road trip there in the spring.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #1079
pdorian
Found some matches.

I have plans to do the same in the future. It's great reading the ups and downs to getting started. Glad it's working out for you.
pdorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #1080
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdorian View Post
I have plans to do the same in the future. It's great reading the ups and downs to getting started. Glad it's working out for you.
In Berkeley? You are a brave man! Going up against a legend in Berkeley is not something easy.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote