MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Turkey Fatty for Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving coming up shortly in Canada, I'm thinking of trying a turkey fatty.

Was thinking of trying to find some turkey sausage, put some stuffing in the middle and making a weave of ham strips.

Has anyone ever tried this? Can I just use ground turkey instead of sausage?
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

I have not tried this but you got my wheels turning that's for sure.

Seems like it would work to me? I'd want to add some cranberry sauce in there with the stuffing! The stuffing would probably be completely soaked with grease and goodness but that may not be a bad thing. I'd use some nice thick cut bacon on exterior to help support the turkey sausage and provide some extra love.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Last year I made some cranberry creamcheese ABT's that were really good.

You will have to give the Turkey some bold flavors to avoid it being very bland.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
eggzlot
Take a breath!

I use ground turkey meat all the time for fatty's - lots of health conscious friends and family. I have 3 of them I am about to smoke in an hour or so. I add 1 egg and some bread crumbs to the turkey meat, mix it all up, then make the fattys. I find the egg/bread crumbs help to bind the meat. I also make 'em a day in advance so they can form and hold their shape.

I stuff 'em with anything, but never thought to do a thanksgiving one - I like that idea!
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks, I might do the ground turkey with bread crumbs and egg next week to give it a trial run, see how I like it and what I think I'll need to add to spice it up.

I want to use ham instead of bacon since it is for Thanksgiving, but a good bacon will do nice.

And sorry, but I won't be adding cranberry, to me cranberry belongs after vodka, as in "Vodka and Cranberry please, bartender...."

I was surprised that a search came up empty, I figured it had been done before.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
eggzlot
Take a breath!

To spice it up, use any rubs or spices. Today I did two turkey meat fatties with SM Cherry rub on the outside, and stuffed with mac n cheese. Then I used Oakridge Chicken and Pork Rub and stuffed that one with eggplant, pizza sauce and mozz cheese. Smoke 'em around 250*, took about 2.5 or so hours and they were ready for eating.

Oh and for the egg/bread crumb, I use about 1 egg and I guess 1/4 cup of bread crumbs per 1.3 lbs of turkey meat - our supermarket packages turkey meat in 1.3 lb boxes, so that is how I measure it out.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

So, I found some turkey breakfast sausage, got 2 lbs and squeezed it out of the casings. Got some Uncle Ben stuffing and thick bacon. I put the sausage into a freezer bag with some poultry seasoning and mixed it up and flattened it out. Into the freezer for an hour or so to stiffen up and make it easier to work with. In the meantime, I made up the stuffing and allowed it to cool. After the turkey was stiff enough to handle, I rolled up the fatty, and made up a bacon weave. Slathered some agave syrup on with more poultry seasoning. Back into the freezer overnight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349811916.291469.jpg

In the morning, got the Mini WSM going with cherry and pecan chunks and preheated to 250ish.. Threw the log on and smoked for about 4-5 hours. Sprayed some cranberry cherry juice on when there was an hour left.

Took it over to my mums later on and it was enjoyed by everyone there..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349811851.915274.jpg

Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

That right there looks good, how about some money shots?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

Unfortunately it's all gone and I didn't want to pull the camera out at the dinner table. I knew someone would say something. :-)

Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

I did one a few weeks ago with Maple Leaf Turkey Sausage taken out of the casings, formed, filled with cheddar and mozarella and homemade salsa, with the bacon weave, then rub. Right off the grill (it was my UDS christening cook) it was WAY too salty. The leftovers I had over the course of the following week were more mellowed.
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Skidder
Babbling Farker

This is how we do it. 1/2 Jimmie Dean sausage mixed with 1/2 ground pork sausage 1 pound each mixed and layed out flat. Add Herbed Stove Top stuffing mix (dry yes dry) along with canned whole berry cranberry sauce and a couple slices of deli turkey meat. Roll up and seal the seam. Dry rub and smoke to 165 degrees Let rest and serve with a cranberry bbq sauce. We actually won a 1st place fatty contest with this. Lay down wax paper or plastic wrap first to help roll it out.

Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote