How accurate are these Weber wireless temp probes??

mikeyd

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wondering I have a Weber wireless temp probe and it seems like the temps are off 5-10 degrees and I'm thinking they do this for safety of the consumer. When I cook meat I select Medium and it tells me to pull it off let's say on a tri-tip at 135-140 degrees and I pull it at 135. I understand it still cooks for a while after pulling it but when I cut into the tri-tip it's medium-well if not well.

I actually took the probe and measured the temp of my pool water and compared it to what my pool controller was reporting and the temps were exact, so I'm confused.

Am I missing something here? Or do you believe they are not accurate and way off?

Thanks!

take some ice cubes and put them in a pitcher, jar, or glass, then fill with cold water. After about a minute, check the temp with your probe, and see how far from 32 F it is

Then bring a small saucepan of water to a boil, and once it's at a boil, check the water temp with your probe, and see how far off it is from 212.

That should tell you how accurate it is

I pretty much never use my weber wireless thermo anymore. It drives me crazy that you can't set an actual temperature. Just meat type and doneness. The highest it goes is like 180* I believe. Becomes useless when trying to pull a butt at 195*. Got the Maverick and haven't looked back.

Back