Rotisserie help?

B

Big2ue

I wanted to add a rotisserie to my UDS but was wondering do I need a kit with a ring or could I just drill to holes in each side of the drum to mount it that way.

I bought a rotissere kit from Wally World and used the brackets that came with it and drilled holes in my drum.

I bought the Rib-O-Lator and modified my drum to make it work. Since I have a dome top, I decide not to add a ring because of sealing, etc.

So I drilled a hole on opposite side of the drum at the height I wanted and welded in a nipple. The rod goes through the center of the nipple.

I then drilled the holes to hold the motor bracket.

When I'm done, I thread a cap on the nipples so there are no air leaks.

Picture of motor bracket, nipple and cap.

smokepak1.jpg

mmmm....
riboltaor.jpg

Personally, I would use a ring. I like to make sure its balanced and the best way to do that is to set up the Rib-O-Lator on a flat surface.

Maybe its just me, but drilling into a drum with a setup like Smoker Kings puts a damper on the cooking process. I like to be able lift the whole setup out to turn the meats or add, remove or baste items, and the idea of doing it over a drum with the lid open for any length of time just does not appeal to me. I'm not knocking his setup-it looks well made but its just my opinion.

Whatever you decide, make sure the spit rod is square and not round stock.

IMG_1630_1.jpg

IMG_1637_1.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

My dome top does not seal like the Weber tops, etc. And the way the ring top seal is designed
for the Rib-O-Lator, it would never work with my cone top.
So, in my case, the ring was not an option.

Back