XL Ugly Drum Smoker

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Since there are different issues with the build of a 85 gal UDS, I thought a separate thread would be helpful.

I am considering building a few of them. I will probably have to buy them new. Here is one choice which has "Interior Coating Mild Rust Inhibitor".

XL-2GTX8.JPG

That barrel is from this source, but there may be better sources.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2GTY4?cm_mmc=Google Base-_-Material Handling-_-Drums-_-2GTY4

The specifications are:

Capacity (Gal.) 85
Height (In.) 39 1/4
Overall Height (In.) 39 1/2
Inside Dia. (In.) 26
Outside Dia. (In.) 27
Construction Rolled and Formed
Material Carbon Steel
Material Thickness (In.) 0.048
Interior Coating Mild Rust Inhibitor
UN Rating Solid 1A2/X440/S
UN Rating Liquid 1A2T/Y320/S
UN Certification 1A2/X440/S
Thickness (mm) 1.2
For Use With Packing Groups I, II and III of Hazardous Materials
Color Yellow with A Red Cover
Standards DOT 49 CFR173.3

I am not sure if the 26" Weber grills will fit in something exactly 26" inside diameter?

85 gal. UDS.Great minds deteriorate with great rapidity!

My warehouse is 8 blocks from a Grainger and I was looking at the exact same page of their catalog thinking the same thing. Normally there is no shipping if you pick it up at the store. I am also studying up on the grate issue. I have welding equipment and some expanded metal on hand, so am considering the custom fab route. However, making pretty circles without jigs is a pain. If I find a good solution I will share.
later, jeff

Lowes? Home Depot?

Just checked their web sites and both only carry up to the 22.5" size ones. The new 26" is so new, they probably don't think they need to carry any replacement parts yet.

Looked at the Weber.com site and they don't have 'em there either yet. I will give them a call Monday to see if they just haven't put them up on the site.

I just measured the grate for the 22.5 Weber and it is 21.5". This leads me to believe the grate for the 26.75 " Weber will be around 25.75" which just might fit this particular drum.

Seems to me that there may be room for three of them with that much extra height? Looking at Desert Dweller's BDS, you could get 15 butts in there with three grates.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25119&stc=1&d=1236954627

attachment.php

Weber grates 25 3/8th

Went by the local grill and smoker store with tape. 25 3/8th in.
Should fit!

The grate part number 71201 and that is $41.75 direct from Weber. You will have to tell them OVER and OVER that you have the part number or they will be asking for your grill model number, etc.

The grate part number 71201 and that is $41.75 direct from Weber. You will have to tell them OVER and OVER that you have the part number or they will be asking for your grill model number, etc.

Very helpful and even cheaper than Ebay. Thanks!

The BDS pictured is the Mega 3143, 31 inches across and 43 inches tall...

I just measured the grate for the 22.5 Weber and it is 21.5". This leads me to believe the grate for the 26.75 " Weber will be around 25.75" which just might fit this particular drum.

Seems to me that there may be room for three of them with that much extra height? Looking at Desert Dweller's BDS, you could get 15 butts in there with three grates.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25119&stc=1&d=1236954627

attachment.php

How well does the grates take that weight? My 26" kinda bow with the weight.

I got some very helpful info from a Brother in a private message that he says I may post on here so everyone can benefit from it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by HOG-QUE-HOLIC
"Hi there Bro, just been doing some research also, I'm thinking of doing 2 of those bigger barrels Granger Item #2GTX8, it's a 96 Gallon Beauty ! Dimensions 42 1/2 high will give me more of a heat Cushion, also it is 26" inches inside dia, I researched about 3 hours yesterday, came across this site Google it, ( Backyard Boutique ) found some 24 1/2 @ $14.99 bones, they say that to use them in a fire ring in camp grounds, that dia would be easy peezy to get grill's in and out, but I don't know the thickness of the wire on the grate, at least ya know Weber would put out a decent product. I think I'll just order 6 grates From Weber Co. Smoke on Bro !"

Back