MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

I am new to this so I check temps a lot. I am getting better though. I need a few more cooks to figure out where my WSM likes to sit. Also, my fire control is not great

Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
It's one thing to be confident serving to your friends and family. Quite another when your serving public or contests. No one wants red ,bloody chicken or too burnt to eat. So there is still good reasons to temp. Just getting better at something shouldn't swell a brain that much. It's better and more reassuring to me that my food is consistant,not variable. Steve.
Didn't mean it to come across as brain swell it's just that I've been through so many cooks that it's a ton easier now than it was when I obsessed. Don't worry I still have my moments as we all do. Thermometers have there place for sure.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

I'm still new enough, that I will use a thermometer to confirm doneness on some things. (Mostly chicken) As far as cooking temps....I'm a in the ball park kind of guy. Hahaha.

Some of the best food I have ever had, was whole hog BBQ, cooked over oak coals that were shoveled in under the pig when the pitmaster thought it needed some more.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

When I cook butts I let the pit ride where it wants to. I only measure pit temps when I do prime rib and brisket HnF. There is such a thing as *too hot* HnF... . I measure meat temps pretty much all of my meats, but the only two meats I rely on temp as a means to an end, is prime rib and chicken. Butts and brisky I use another measuring tool. Its called an icepick...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

LOL I have said the same numerous times.

Had to go back to thermometers for comps (really recent change). Really need to be on a successful timeline to succeed there, but in the real world... who cares about temp.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I think people obsess way too much about stuff like that, it even seems like the going thing now to add computerized devices to your cooker to control temp. I shoot for a temp range instead of a specific temp-usually somewhere between 250-300 for most of my cooks. As long as it's somewhere in there, I'm happy. I do usually check internals on stuff like whole turkeys and beer-can chickens.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Yup, I obsess over temperature every time. But I'm weird, I like things to be consistent and repeatable.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep - it's Q, not Rocket Surgery...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #24
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

My skills are not yet at the point that I feel confident judging things solely on looks or feel. I still use temps as an indicator but I am getting better at learning the other things to look for. Personally I will probably always use temps as a guideline but not as the ultimate indicator.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #25
Bludawg

The only temp I pay attention to it the pit temp as long as it is 275+ I'm golden. I like it hot because I'm lazy.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Last edited by Bludawg; 03-31-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

bludawg..right on again...once a cook gains experience you can tell the temp...therm in pockets is for looks..if someone is looking over my shoulder..

Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Only with bigger hunks of meat like brisket. I have 4 in thr 9.5-10.5 lb range on the Fatboy that I put on last night, running in the 230 temp range. All four are probing different, but they'll be done when they're done.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
gtr

For pit temps, I'm usually looking at a range from around 270-300ish. For brisket/butts/ribs etc. I'm not monitoring IT. For pork loin, prime rib, etc. I do monitor temps. I don't monitor temps for those cuts obsessively, but I would probably monitor more closely if I were catering or something like that. For chix, I pretty much know when it's done, but I'll still stick it with the Thermapen just to confirm
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I started out cooking on an old ECB with out a thermometer. Didn't have a meat thermometer either. Cooked that way for years. Then moved on to a cheap New Braunfels offset and still didn't have a thermometer. It wasn't until I got an OK Joe Vertical Roasting Oven I ever cooked Q with a thermometer. Using nice accurate thermometers these days almost feels like cheatin'.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote