MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question for the Backwoods smoker guys

Alright folks- im going to be pulling the trigger on a new smoker soon(More than likely- BWS Party). Of the limited amount of smoking I have done with my stickburner- im already tired of tending to the fire every hour or so and the fluctuation in temps. The offset is now gone.

That said...I do love the taste my smoker produced; which brings me to my question...
Running a Backwoods or similar smoker- will using smaller chunks of wood produce the same taste as cooking on a stick burner? If one ran a Backwoods dry next to an offset smoker and cooked the same meat with the same seasoning- would one be able to tell the difference? Yes I know tenderness and moisture will change- my concern is SMOKED flavor.

Basically im trying to avoid the taste of something cooked in an oven with a bit of wood flavor to it

Thoughts?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

You have nothing to worry about in the smoke flavor department. You impart as much or as little smoke flavor using the BWS Party unit as you want.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I think there's a texture difference between food cooked on our Lang vs food cooked on the backwoods, but definitely not a smoke flavor difference. Plus, if you're going to run the backwoods dry, I think you minimize the texture difference.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got a Chubby last summer (thanks Gainesville Jaycees! ) and was pleasantly surprised at the smoke flavor I got from cooking on it. Seems to me the bark is softer, but I'm gonna start fooling around with running it dry, putting other things in the water pan, etc.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Thats the info I was looking for(and what I wanted to hear too lol)

[QUOTE=gtr;2366545]Seems to me the bark is softer[QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I would expect from running one with water. I do plan on running sand in it rather than water. Love the idea of the flexibility though.

Tempting to think there is a new Party within 50 miles from meOnce I have the cash saved up...may make the jump to a Pitmaker or Fatboy.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I just bought a new “Party” this past December and I am still learning it – I enjoy cooking on it very much. I have been cooking on a Tucker Cooker for several years and wanted something smaller for smaller cooks. It was a pain to set up the Tucker for a couple of Ribs.

I have cooked with both water and with sand so far and the smoke flavor is a bit more “richer” than when I cook on my Tucker. I also set the fire box up the same and when I used water the smoke flavor stood out more to me. Those in my family say they can’t tell any difference. I have only cooked about 7 times with it so I am still learning it.

I also recommend you order yours with the heat diverter.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

My stickburning experience is somewhat limited (cheap offset brinkman with the usual mods). I can turn out good food on both, but for my time/money I REALLY enjoy cooking my Backwoods. The water aspect is a little bit of a pain, and I don't know scientifically if the moist cooking environment improves the product, but it does work to stabalize temps and the food turns out awesome so I'll go with it!

+1 on getting the heat diverter. You'll probably want casters if you move it much, but you can get very nice ones cheaper than Backwoods charges. I can't recall offhand where I ordered mine, but PM me if interested and I'll look.

BTW, if you don't have a local Backwoods dealer, give Andy Bangs a call. He did a great job helping me get hooked up with mine, and he's a Brethren.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs

"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."

Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Hcs

I purchased a g2 chubby being delivered tommorow between 12-4. I have cooked on an electric,offset,uds,and weber kettle. Out of all of them I personally like the weber better than any I've had before. I'll let you know the status of the backwoods!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Puckstopper

Love my Fatboy! Smoke flavor has been great. I havent tried running her dry but i dont have any issues with the way food is coming out using water.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

If you run a backwoods with no water in it you run the risk of uncontrollable high temps. These cookers were designed to run with water in them. If you are concerned about soft texture with a water cooker, maybe you should look into a pellet smoker. It is a much dryer environment and you will be able to get the same texture as in your offset.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
If you run a backwoods with no water in it you run the risk of uncontrollable high temps. These cookers were designed to run with water in them. If you are concerned about soft texture with a water cooker, maybe you should look into a pellet smoker. It is a much dryer environment and you will be able to get the same texture as in your offset.
good call-makes sense. Will get it then cook,then adjust accordingly. Now I just need to get it

no offense to those who run pellets smokers...but nah...not my thing at all!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

There are work arounds for the soft bark issue but it will take some time learning your smoker first. If you want a harder bark always cook on a higher rack as that is where the higher temps are. Another thing I do is let the water boil off towards the end when my coals are losing their heat. what that does is let the cooker ramp up but not lose control since you aren't running a full basket of coals. Mine will hit 350-400 and ill run that for a bit at the end depending on what my cut is. That tends to firm up that soft bark everyone talks about. As a bonus you cook off the water which dries ouy the interior of the smoker. If you haven't read already ill let you know the bws have a rust issue if you don't take care of it. Metal + moisture is a bad combo which is ironic since that is exactly what this smoker is. So if you put it in storage with moisture still inside you run the risk of rusting. so by draining the water or cooking it off and letting the heat ramp up you make a drier environment for storage. Wouldmt trade my BWS for anything so I wish you all the best with yours.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
jacksedona
Take a breath!

i hope you are water logging your chunks of wood the day before you smoke . i waterlog one big chunk of hikory in a cup of water ,it lasts for hours

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I've never cooked on this style of smoker. Are there any vault/cabinet/gravity feed smokers that are not designed with a water pan?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
I've never cooked on this style of smoker. Are there any vault/cabinet/gravity feed smokers that are not designed with a water pan?
I'm pretty sure most of the gravity fed smokers (stumps, rebel, superior, etc) are all dry cookers.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote