MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Diesel
On the road to being a farker

Default Need to cover UDS to help with temp...

Mighty cold here today and I'm smoking two butts for pulled pork and Im wondering if I could use a movers blanket to wrap the UDS. would any one try it or do you think it would melt the fabric.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Diesel

Trying it anyway, got a 72 x 80 for 5 bux at harbor freight. lets see what happens.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
mjsmitty
Found some matches.

i heard of it being done. never tried it myself. let us know how it went.
mjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

I have seen posts by others advising people to use the blankets, I have no experience with them myself as my uds seems fine in the cold but let us know how it works out for you.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

There is a member here that cooks in his UDS through the winter at North Pole Alaska and never uses a blanket. Only difference is a bit higher fuel usage.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I have heard of folks using water heater insulating covers/blankets, but $5 for a mover's blanket is hard to pass up.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

I used blankets on UDS and towels on the WSM Mini. No problems with burning or melting. The temp on the mini came up nicely with the help of a towel. It would never had made it to 225 without the towel when I cooked in December (temp 20-30 degrees)

Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Diesel

It's working well ! Temps went up, so I closed a vent and now its just moving right along. It was very windy here today also so the blanket really helped. No burning and no melting of the fabric. See my UDS was cold today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold UDS.jpg (107.7 KB, 68 views)

Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
LT72884
Babbling Farker

there is a brother here who built a wooden box around his uds and filled it full of sand. that would for winter, only problem, it becomes stationary.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
there is a brother here who built a wooden box around his uds and filled it full of sand. that would for winter, only problem, it becomes stationary.

That wouldnt work for me. There is a pool going right where the UDS now this spring so it has to be mobile.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Good to hear its working, the wind is your biggest enemy! The blankets really help with that. But IF its not windy no need to wrap up a UDS I've cooked at -43F(or colder) ambient and just use a bit more fuel. the UDS is an amazing cooker that's for sure!

Looking forward to seeing your finished pron
pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
Good to hear its working, the wind is your biggest enemy! The blankets really help with that. the UDS is an amazing cooker that's for sure!

Looking forward to seeing your finished pron
pwa
You said it, The wind was killing me. And the drum is amazing at what it does. I cant wait to get my SS UDS going. Pron will follow soon. they are taking a nap in the cooler.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Buy 6 PBCs and run them full tilt around your UDS. Of course, if you are smart, you would buy One PBC, gut your UDS and use the UDS to insolate the PBC.

Welders blankets are great for this too. I used to use them to cover my Meat Mama smoker which is pretty large and never had to worry about a fire.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Buy 6 PBCs and run them full tilt around your UDS. Of course, if you are smart, you would buy One PBC, gut your UDS and use the UDS to insolate the PBC.
I think I noted sarcasm...