Rib Membrane Question

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When pulling it off. Do you go all the way to the bone, or split the 2 layers?

I've always split them, and have never had a problem. Just curious if anyone goes all the way to the bone.

Outer layer only.
I get burned thru "shiners" when I screw up and pull the inner one. :oops:

TIM

I Stopped pulling it off It all but disappears and my bones are juicer.

I pull the membrane, I don't see two layers. When the membrane is off, the bones are bare. I have never had a problem with a rack falling apart, unless I grossly over-cook them.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
I Stopped pulling it off It all but disappears and my bones are juicer.

I have not removed the membrane in a good while now and notice nothing different except the amount of time spent prepping them, although sometimes depending on how I feel they may get scored.

I have been cooking them whole without trimming anything except if there is a large hunk of fat, that comes off.

Looks like I am becoming more and more the minimalist.
Dave

I have not removed the membrane in a good while now and notice nothing different except the amount of time spent prepping them, although sometimes depending on how I feel they may get scored.

I have been cooking them whole without trimming anything except if there is a large hunk of fat, that comes off.

Looks like I am becoming more and more the minimalist.
Dave
The difference I see is if you leave the outer membrane on, any rub over the outer membrane does not reach the meat. It takes so little effort to remove the outer membrane, that I do it every time. That all the trimming I do before rubbing and cooking.

Last edited:
I just remove the outer. However, there have been occasions where I have removed both and have had no issues with my ribs staying together.

Back