MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Brisket failure equals success!

I know that's kind of a messed up title ain't it! Here's my story. Last weekend I had a taste for brisket so went to the store and picked up a 9lb full packer. My plan was to low and slow it over night with single digit temps outside. I started up my wsm using a good amount pecan and cherry mixed into some KF. Packed the ring with as much as I could until it was almost falling out. Started a chimney with maybe 15 coals and went to get the brisket trimmed a bit. Then I rubbed it using a Wolfe Original Rub which is a family favorite. Here are a couple pic's.

My first mistake was I started this brisket way to early for an overnighter. My plan was to smoke the brisket to 195-200* and cooler until noonish for the football games last Sunday. I cooked this fat side up to see if it helped make the brisket more tender than others that I have done fat down. I know that normally it takes 1 hr to 1.5 hrs per lb. Well after trimming the fat down on this cut I think I had around 7.5 lbs. Put the brisket on at 8:30pm and monitored the wsm temps until sometime after midnight and went to sleep.

I set my alarm on my E73 for 225-250* grate temp and a meat temp of 180*. Sometime in the night I think either the meat temp or pit temp went over and I must have shut the alarm off and fell back asleep. I wake back up at 5:00am and look over at the mav to see where I was at. Oh no! Pit temp at 270* and the brisket temp at 207*.

I get up and run outside with a pan to pull the brisket off. Pull the lid and man this thing has a bark like I have never before accomplished. Get back in the house and I'm thinking man should I foil and cooler or do I just slice it and toss it in the fridge to reheat later? Huum Well after about twenty minutes I decide to slice it and just put it in the fridge.

Separate the point and then started to slice the flat. As I start to slice mind you I'm half asleep and can't remember which way the gain was going in the flat. I start cutting and man this thing is shredding. I then remember that the grain kind of ran sideways-ish so I turn it and start slicing again. Better slices but for the most part you could take a slice pull it apart with no knife needed here! I took the point and just chopped it up. I figured what we did not eat I was going to use to make chili with later in the week. Which was great BTW!

Here are some pic's of the sliced brisket.

Well to my surprise I think this was one of the better briskets I have made. I think that maybe I have not been bringing the temps up high enough and well what I thought was ruined was pretty darn good. Anyone else have these results with taking your brisket to a higher finished temp? Sorry for the low quality cell pic's! Thanks fo viewing. Vince

Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only done a few briskets, and I'm not sure if I ever knew what temp they were. I followed Bigabyte's awesome tutorial and went by probe tenderness. Based on my limited experience I think cooking a brisket to proper doneness may be a counterintuitive process - you gotta cook it way past what most people would think is done in order to get it where it needs to be.

Glad it turned out well for you - one of those "Watson come here I need you" kind of moments!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

looks good no matter what. i usually cook mine to about 198 or so and wrap for an hour. the last one i did i used the probe test and then just let it rest for about 1/2 hour. that was a great success also. will try the probe test again next time and see.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

I had a similar experience recently where I overslept and my brisket was pulled off at an IT of 209. I stuck the flat in a cooler and took it to work as I had committed to bringing a brisket for a potluck. It turned out to be a little more tender than I wanted with some slices falling apart while I was cutting but I'd take this over dry tough slices anytime. My co-workers were amazed at how tender & juicy it was. It all worked out in the end but I'm now setting backup alarms.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I cook my briskets at 275*, and sometimes 207* IT is what it takes for perfect tenderness (not often, but sometimes). Sounds like you got lucky, and maybe learned a thing or two about brisket in the process.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
LMAJ

I usually shoot for the 200ish range but the real test is how it feels - if there is no resistance when I probe it, it's done no matter what the internal temp.
Glad things worked out for you!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
chambersuac

Glad it worked out for ya. Sometimes we succeed despite ourselves :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

The BBQ Gods were watching over you Vince. Looks good from here.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

looks pretty good from here!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I cut the corner off so I know how to slice it when it comes out I have a hard time remembering the way the grain runs as well especially after a few cold ones

Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

You merely accidentally cooked a brisket the proper way. Which inversely means. everyone not cooking a brisket this way, well, ...please refer to HMK5 of the now retitled "Personal Attack Database" (Now Canned Insult Database).

Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
bigabyte

Looks like you did it just right to me.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
Braddog
Full Fledged Farker

Nothing wrong with that! IMHO, good brisket usually looks like a meteorite when you take it off the cooker.

Cheers,
Braddog
Large Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

what was ur rubb?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the replies guys. I honestly think I have been under cooking my briskets or this was just a big fluke. To be honest I have done the probe test and then foil for a couple few hours. Normally temps were at or under *200. Seems that after a rest the brisket was tougher when I went to slice. Don't know but after a quick reheat in the micro wave this was some of the best I have ever made. I can't wait to do the next one. Maybe it was a fat side up thing! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
You merely accidentally cooked a brisket the proper way. Which inversely means. everyone not cooking a brisket this way, well, ...please refer to HMK5 of the now retitled "Personal Attack Database" (Now Canned Insult Database).
"HMK5=No thanks. I got full from the relish table." Kind of makes me laugh. I watched one of your funk video's where you just pulled the brisket apart in your hands and this was just like that! I actually had a "funk vision" of you while I did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
what was ur rubb?
It was Wolfe Original Rub that I got from Larry Wolfe. Lots of turbinado sugar and smells really good IMO.