MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default a dumb question

I know this is a dumb question but i have a few rubs i want to test out BUT i dont want to shell out the money for some ribs that are 4$ a pound. I can get country style ribs for .88$ per pound. I am curious if a rub will taste different on one cut of pork than it will on another. Lets say BB's vs country style ribs or even pork chops. I just want to test the rubs out to see if i like. Its cheaper to give the dog country style ribs than it is BB's if you mean what i know!!

Thanx

Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Porks pork! Do it!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

It's a meat to rub ratio kind of thing. The same rub on a pork butt has less flavor than the rub on some baby backs. But the difference between country style and baby backs shouldnt be that big of a difference. The meat to rub ratio is real similar.
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Porks pork! Do it!
especially too considering that country ribs come from the butt.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Yes, we mean what you know, or mean why i know what? Anyway, yes, try with
"country" ribs.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
But the difference between country style and baby backs shouldnt be that big of a difference. The meat to rub ratio is real similar.

Country ribs arent "ribs".. thye are a sliced up pork butt. And around here(costco sells em), very big chunks.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Country ribs arent "ribs".. thye are a sliced up pork butt. And around here(costco sells em), very big chunks.
yup.. they real nice here to. labeled country style butt ribs on the package in the stores here.

Its either chops or country style ribs tonight with two new homemade rubs. One with no sugar and the other is a caribbean jerk with sugar. Gotta pracitice for my first comp this spring

Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Love the country ribs. Price may have a lot to do with it. I did find out this weekend that Mesquite wood does not go well with country ribs. I prefer fruit woods but could not find any. Had to mail order. Dogs still not getting my ribs, will put in stew or something to try and cover the smoke flavor.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif View Post
Love the country ribs. Price may have a lot to do with it. I did find out this weekend that Mesquite wood does not go well with country ribs. I prefer fruit woods but could not find any. Had to mail order. Dogs still not getting my ribs, will put in stew or something to try and cover the smoke flavor.
Mesquite wood flavor is a lil to strong for me. Even apple is strong for me. Use the ribs to make a 3 bean chili. Add the ribs to a bag of about a cup or so mixe of gingerale and rootbeer. Then when you brown it and thicken up the sugars in the marinate, add the rest of your chilie stuff and then add a hershy kiss or two at the end for some added flavor

Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Mesquite wood flavor is a lil to strong for me. Even apple is strong for me. Use the ribs to make a 3 bean chili. Add the ribs to a bag of about a cup or so mixe of gingerale and rootbeer. Then when you brown it and thicken up the sugars in the marinate, add the rest of your chilie stuff and then add a hershy kiss or two at the end for some added flavor
Thanks for the tip on the gingerale and rootbeer. I was between chilli or stew. Was going to try a stew with tomatoe sauce, onions, carots, potatoes and garlic. I have BBQ sauce on the ribs as well which was why I am thinking tomatoe based. Was hoping all that would kill most of the smoke flavor. I think the mesquite is going in the firepit.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif View Post
Thanks for the tip on the gingerale and rootbeer. I was between chilli or stew. Was going to try a stew with tomatoe sauce, onions, carots, potatoes and garlic. I have BBQ sauce on the ribs as well which was why I am thinking tomatoe based. Was hoping all that would kill most of the smoke flavor. I think the mesquite is going in the firepit.
Mesquite makes awesome lump though.When it is in lump form, it does not give off that nasty smoke flavor. Not nasty, just a flavor i dont prefere