New type of Jalapeno Pepper

Nope. I think I'd still prefer regular Japs, but it's interesting

Last edited:
Yeah, its hard enough to find japs with heat now anyways. Ill pass on the even milder versions

Brought to you by the same people that gave us tomatoes with no flavor.

I think I is a good idea for those of us that have burned out our insides. And I just got a deep fryer for Xmas that I an dying to try out.

Well, it's the first I have heard of that specific one...but I first started noticing a great deal of mild peppers several years ago and learned of the TAM pepper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAM_Mild_Jalapeño

To me, this explained why so many jalapenos I found at the store were not very hot, particularly the poppers at most restaurants. Still though, every now and then I run across one and it is BLAZIN!:flame:

I guess this just goes to show that there is enough demand for mild jalapeno-flavored peppers that they are still making other varieties. I don't think it's a bad thing, I eat peppers for the flavor, not the heat, I just put up with the heat to enjoy the flavor. If that flavor could be tapped with less heat, I think that is a good thing. Can you imagine some of the great flavors you could make if habanero's were really tame? You could make a dish that primarily focuses on the flavor of a habanero and serve it to a much broader audience of people who could enjoy it.

I'm sure there are some sort of chile head purists out there who think the heat is crucial to enjoying peppers for some reason, and they probably disagree with me...but heat is not a flavor...it is the bodies reaction to a substance telling you your body would be happier without it. The heat was an evolutionary response by the plant to prevent animals from eating the fruits of the plant. It has nothing to do with the flavor or potential enjoyment of the fruit. It would be like growing poison ivy because you like ivy vines, and being opposed to a breeding program that gave you the plant without the irritating properties.

Just my opinion of course.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
I have no one that I cook ABTs for that will accept full Jap...heat.

I split them into "boats" and totally de-vein and de-seed them to make them a hit with my friends and family.

These hybrids might be just the ticket for me.:-D

TIM

It would be nice to get a more consistent jalapenos.For ABT's or salsas I get a real swing of hot from the same bin at the grocery store.

I always plant several varieties of peppers each spring and they blow the store boughts away in both taste and heat. But then in the winter I am doomed as well to the taste and heat swings as well. Funny thing happened last year. I had a jalapeno planted next to a habenero and I swear some of them cross polinted because I had several red jalapenos that were very hot!

Haven't heard of this particular hybrid, but I have grown "mild jalepenos" before in the garden. I was actually suprised that they had NO heat at all. Tasted like green peppers.

Personally.....I think when they started genetically altering foods in general to get bigger, shinier, fatter, juicier, etc. they screwed up. Who even knows if the fruits and vegetables we eat now are really what they are supposed to be. Slippery slope as they say.

Personally.....I think when they started genetically altering foods in general to get bigger, shinier, fatter, juicier, etc. they screwed up. Who even knows if the fruits and vegetables we eat now are really what they are supposed to be. Slippery slope as they say.
I tend to agree with you on the genetically modified aspect...although I am fine with cross-breeding, which both of these jalapenos seem to be. It is a natural progression, just cross pollinating plats that could naturally cross pollinate if grown in a garden together. But, I could be wrong in my beliefs on both counts!:becky::laugh:

several red jalapenos that were very hot!

It is possible for them to cross pollinate as I had some spicy jalapeno looking bell peppers one year but it’s not the reason they turned red.

Jalapenos will turn red if left on the vine for an extended growing season.

Cheers:wink:

They were not on the vine too long for sure. I use them up as fast as they can grow. :p

If it is from the NMSU program, I am willing to give it a try. I have grown various types of jalapenos and the moderate heat ones have some value. It appears that they may have created one that has higher disease resistance which would be a plus.

I wonder if you can touch your eye after you core them. I seem to do that almost every time I make ABT's:doh:

I wonder if you can touch your eye after you core them. I seem to do that almost every time I make ABT's:doh:
Better than the time I did a huge batch of ABT`s without gloves and then had the urge to go to the bathroom. Now I wear gloves when handling peppers

Japs are supposed to have heat. Period.
If you dont want the heat try something else. I was pissed when I went to visit my inlaws out in Norcal foothills to find bell pepper tasting Japs. The ones I was getting here at home were much hotter. Maybe try and shrink the Bells. Dont mess with the Japs!

Texas A&M University bred the jalapeño pepper I grow every summer. It is perfect for Texas climate, and it is pretty hot. The heat depends on the weather, but in general, the first peppers I harvest are mild, and they get hotter as the summer progresses.

CD

Well, it's the first I have heard of that specific one...but I first started noticing a great deal of mild peppers several years ago and learned of the TAM pepper.

TAM peppers are not necessarily mild. The more water they get, the milder they are. If you give them just enough water to grow and propagate, they are pretty hot, but still have decent flavor.

I hate peppers that are hot, and bitter. Super hot peppers are great for showing off how big your balls are, it you are 21 and that's a priority. But, I like a good balance of heat and flavor.

I have found TAM jalepeños to be excellent in my garden, but I admit that they may not be right for a garden in Kansas.

CD

Back