MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Arrow FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle Maiden Voyage: Major Pizza Pron!

If this is a new topic for you, you might want to check out the original post with a number of insightful comments and questions on my build HERE:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=92652

There is a link in the above thread in one of the posts that details all you need to know about building one.

Here's what it looked like after I built it about a month ago:

Since then, I removed the foil from the inside of the lid as others indicated it will burn up pretty fast.

A number of you have been inquiring whether I had used it yet, and truth be told, it had to be backburnered for a while. But this Friday, the missus and a buddy of mine told me it was time to fire this puppy up - no more excuses. So that's what I did!

Friday night we made dough using Peter Reinhart's recipe, and let it sit in the fridge till Sunday. We also made an additional batch of beer and butter dough ( I also posted this a while back if you want the recipe) on Sunday using the breadmaker. Sunday afternoon, I made up a batch of my homemade pizza sauce and let it cool.

One of the concerns I had was what to use as a heat deflector, but gtsum who posted quite a bit on this topic here uses a 10 inch steel metal bowl 1/2 way filled with sand with good results in his build, so I decided to try that:

I fired up the kettle, and decided I would go for a target stone temp of 675 degrees. Man, this thing makes a lot of noise. You can't see the flame very well in this pic, but it was about 8 inches high, and I only had it cranked up about 3/4.

For the stone, I used my grilled pizza stone specifically made for 22 inch Weber kettles:

The great thing about this stone is its "d" shape. With the d side positioned exactly opposite the front vent, it allows the hot air to move over the top of the pies for a convection effect.

It only took about 20 mins for the stone temp to reach 675 degrees. Time to make pizza! We made 3 different pies. Sausage, sage and mushroom, pepperoni and sausage, and a classic neapolitan style. Here's the sausage, mushroom and sage just before we put it in the kettle:

Each pizza took under 4 minutes to cook, and we rotated them about every 45 seconds. I didn't take pics of the other pizzas before we cooked them, but here they all are after they were done.

Neapolitan with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil:

Pepperoni & sausage on the beer and butter dough:

Sausage, mushroom & sage:

The pizzas tasted GREAT! The bottom of each crust was slightly blackened like you'd get in a wood fired oven, so the outside was nice and crispy, yet the inside was soft and chewy. And the beer and butter crust was way better than Peter Reinhart's revered recipe, which I probably won't make again.

My only complaint is that the top of the pies were not quite as done as the bottom, but I know there's an easy solution to it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

For my first time, I'd say it worked out very well, and I plan to start using this regularly, also experimenting with new dough recipes and hotter temps. The pizzas this thing cranks out are way better than anything I've had from an oven, and I know with a little time and some experimenting, it will only get better.

To date, I have about $135 invested in my FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle...worth every penny and then some!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
bigabyte

Those look amazing!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
landarc

Great looking pies Moose

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

It's Pizza Party Time.....
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

I'd be on those pies like a poodle on a post master.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very nice. I have been thinking about putting one of these together as well with leftover bottoms of kettles sacrificed for UDS lids. I like the use of the burner to get up to higher temps but I am still thinking of trying to do it with wood/lump. Do you think you would get some wood fire flavoring if you put a couple chunks of wood in the sand? I would assume it would be hot enough to get it smoldering.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Man I love pizza those look awesome! I'm noticing the same thing in my 22.5 kettle. In my 18" SJP I can get the top of the pizza nice and golden brown but not so much so on the big kettle.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
deguerre

Dang Moose! Just, dang!

How can you get just a little more convection over the top I wonder...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Wampus

NICE!
Awesome lookin' pies!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the write up! Keep working on the technique, and once you have it down perfect let me know so I can copy every detail!
There has to be a way to force more hot air down on the top of the pie so that the crust and top are done at the same time. I wonder if you should just try it once with layer of HD foil on the lid just to see if it makes any difference? Even if it does burn up, dunno. It would be interesting to know temp of the area above the pizza stone, but don't know if there is a way to measure that. Maybe not enough heat is getting through the opening into the upper area? So many variables!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

looks good interesting build
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Sugoi! Nice pies there!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Good suggestions, Mark. I think next time instead of centering it directly over the flame, I'll position the metal bowl/diffuser towards the front of the kettle so more heat/air flows towards the back which will work its way over the top of the pies...that may do the trick.

I may also try it with my 16 inch round granite stone and see how that works as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Thanks for the write up! Keep working on the technique, and once you have it down perfect let me know so I can copy every detail!
There has to be a way to force more hot air down on the top of the pie so that the crust and top are done at the same time. I wonder if you should just try it once with layer of HD foil on the lid just to see if it makes any difference? Even if it does burn up, dunno. It would be interesting to know temp of the area above the pizza stone, but don't know if there is a way to measure that. Maybe not enough heat is getting through the opening into the upper area? So many variables!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Looks good Moose! Glad to hear the maiden voyage went well for you. I would say it was a very successful outing! Couple of things to think about/ponder/digest -

1) are you using the stock food grate? if so, it will start to warp pretty bad from the extreme heat. I tried doubling them up and it still wanted to warp after a few cooks - to get around this I bought a replacement charcoal grate (for the 22.5) and I use that as my grate - I bought SS 3 1/2 bolts that I drilled through the kettle wall (4 of them) and the charcoal grate sits on those - it is much sturdier and does not warp at all
2) Top browning - do you know what your dome temps are? (I installed a cheap thermo in top of mine). Originally I was cooking at 600 stone temps and about 700 dome temps before a few more mods.......
3) I did a couple of things that helped my results - I removed the SS bowl with sand and I use firebrick as the hearth - FB transfers hear much slower then your stone (I would imagine), so I can get away with not using a diffuser and getting me faster heat up times then I could before. Also, I moved my FB hearth all the way up front (like your open "D" shape) and then I blocked off ALL the gaps on the sides between the FB and the edge of the kettle - this helped a lot with dome temps..now, my dome temps are around 850 degrees. Finally, do you have a disk or something in the lid to reduce the volume and force the "ceiling" of the dome lower (closer to the pie)? I am using a 19 inch alum pizza pan in my dome that seems to work ok.

What is the gap on the edges between the stone and the edge of the kettle? Even 1/2 to 3/4" gaps will cause you to lose top heat...if necessary, block these gaps with HD alum foil and try it again - I bet you will see a major improvement on the dome temp which will = more top heat on the pie...these things are pretty finicky - I tried all sorts of combos before settling on my current setup (I tried moving the SS bowl more forward to force it the hear rear...it had limited affect for me....you might still need the SS bowl in yours..it just depends on how your stone heats up....good luck let me know how it comes out!!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Nice smoker, and killer pizzas! Man those just flat out look good
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote