Oak wood for smoking

dkryzer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've heard several people say they use oak for smoking. My question is what type of oak wood do people use? Red? White? Green?

Out here in CA, I try to get red oak.

Red and White Oak are specific species of oak. Green oak is a freshly cut down tree. Any oak you can find is great for smoking.

I've heard several people say they use oak for smoking. My question is what type of oak wood do people use? Red? White? Green?

Red oak is great for grilling up steaks, I smoke with white oak, readily available around these woods and is killer on the beef.

Oak is the queen of smoking woods. Good for just about anything really. Most say hickory is king but I guess it's more of where you live and what supply you have and also personal taste.

Here in Georgia I mainly use Red Oak because it is pretty common. From my limited knowledge of Texas brisket they mainly use Post Oak (which is of the white oak family) because it grows like a weed there.

Thanks for the quick replies. Since I have 200 acres of red and white oak, I should be set.

Red and White Oak are specific species of oak. Green oak is a freshly cut down tree. Any oak you can find is great for smoking.
I would avoid the poison oak :biggrin: unless you are out to get someone:icon_devil

Been using red oak and loved it in my UDS. Gave a great ring, nice blue smoke. But when I ran out and got another bag, it was crappy, all dirty and obviously not fresh. So we bought some white oak from a shop. Not thrilled with it. Wasn't as pungent as the red. Looking forward to getting an order in soon from a reputable dealer up here. The white oak I got is cut like hardwood floors. As a traditionalist, I would rather my wood look like it was split from a log.

White oak here. But my main wood is apple...mainly because of an apple tree on the neighbors property with many overhanging branches. Last autumn's cut is in this autumn's firebox.

I also have mulberry and juniper on my property. Juniper is good for smoking fish.

White oak here. But my main wood is apple...mainly because of an apple tree on the neighbors property with many overhanging branches. Last autumn's cut is in this autumn's firebox.

I also have mulberry and juniper on my property. Juniper is good for smoking fish.

Is Mulberry as distinctive a flavor as say Mesquite? Or is it like Apple with a soft flavour.

Is Mulberry as distinctive a flavor as say Mesquite? Or is it like Apple with a soft flavour.

Not distinct but a nice sweet smelling wood like apple. I like to use it for fish and chicken. I have never had anything overpowered by mulberry.

Question? I have just found a supply of free "Live Oak". This is a common tree in Texas and also here in Florida.

Has anyone used it.

Question? I have just found a supply of free "Live Oak". This is a common tree in Texas and also here in Florida.

Has anyone used it.

Live Oak is a very dense wood. Which means it's great for long fuel. However, I find that live oak also has the most fungus and moss problems. YMMV, but be careful of "free" live oak, that usually means it is diseased.

Here is a great write up on live oak:

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Live_oak/liveoak.htm

Thank you, That's a great link, and I'll be careful in picking the wood.

Jim

Out here in CA, I try to get red oak.

Where do you get it!?!?! Next time you are up here, bring me some, I will pay you handsomely.

I have only used black oak and that is when I fire up the Santa Maria, so I am not using it to smoke, but to cook over coal...of course the smoke adds flavor, but in this instance, I am using oak for heat and flavor.

On My UDS, I do not use oak, but i do use Royal Oak Charcoal.

Back