MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Default Temporary Rule Change Parsley

Temporary Rule Change - effective immediately - Parsley

Due the recall of parsley shipped to 10 different states, which have been recalled due to the risk of salmonella contamination and food poisoning in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. The Board of Directors has issued the follow advisory and rule change for all KCBS sanctioned contest held between this date and September 20, 2009.

The use of all types of parsley (including but not limited to curly, flat leaf, Italian or any other type) and cilantro is prohibited and shall constitute an illegal garnish and therefore be disqualified.

The decision to ban the use of parsley and cilantro is made out of abundant caution and concern for the protection of all participants including cooks, judges and visitors, as well as the effect parsley use could have upon a judge whom was concerned the product they were judging could be contaminated. This decision is made in the interest of fair competition.

This ban is only for the period stated and will not effect any other future competition unless the FDA or other authorities issue additional warnings.

Merl Whitebook
Secretary KCBS BOD
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Whew! Glad Washington State dodged that bullet or Swamprb would be freakin' this weekend... Thanks for the heads up Merl!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

The way I'm reading it, all KCBS sanctioned comps this weekend regardless of location.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
GratefulSmoker
On the road to being a farker

I believe it reads that all KCBS sanctioned comps are going NO parsley until Sept. 20th......
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#00ff00][URL="http://www.smokinandfarmin.wordpress.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black][U]Team Name:[/U][/COLOR] New Pigs On The Block BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][U][COLOR=black]Smokers:[/COLOR][/U] FEC100, 4 x Weber Kettles 22.5, 1951 Hasty Bake project, Hasty Bake Ranger[/COLOR][/SIZE]
GratefulSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Merl -
Seriously.... Fair competition??
Teams that don't frequent the forums would have no idea until after they arrived, with their parsley (which would be safe if it was on the shelves on friday...)

Fair would be to stay with the KCBS standards... which does not allow rule changes, for fairness. No rant here.... just saying, when we had the lettuce recall, KCBS didnt ban it... I think you are doing something that cause alot of consternation and pain for the teams.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I'd recommend all organizers/reps to plan on having and providing a lot of greens to those in the need ... and making them quality greens.

Is it legal to dice green leaf?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

No putting greens :(

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Whew! Glad Washington State dodged that bullet or Swamprb would be freakin' this weekend... Thanks for the heads up Merl!
All KCBS events.... you didnt dodge the bullet.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

New plans for the Harvard Fall Festival this weekend...

Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
You may want to re-read what Merl posted, JD. Then you may want to give Swamp a couple of shots of Cabo The recall was only in certain states, but the rule change affects all KCBS competitions this weekend.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

MERL - I will email the full release to you if you would like, but please take this back to the board, so they have a chance to rethink this silliness. :

(From FDA recall on 9/11) ....With that in mind, even though this product is over two weeks old and most likely past the useable shelf life, we have taken immediate actions to ensure that all product is accounted for and out of the supply chain. We are working with all of our customers to insure this product is no longer being distributed." said Greg Emi, President, Muranaka Farm, Inc.

Because of Muranaka Farm's trace recall program the company was able to immediately determine which customers purchased the product in question. Muranaka's food safety protocols also ensure the company was able to determine the amount of cases harvested, the crew harvesting the product, and the field on which the parsley was grown and harvested.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Over Reaction???? by this Board? no farking way... I'm shocked.

wait... wait... nope, I'm not.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
The way I'm reading it, all KCBS sanctioned comps this weekend regardless of location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
All KCBS events.... you didnt dodge the bullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You may want to re-read what Merl posted, JD. Then you may want to give Swamp a couple of shots of Cabo The recall was only in certain states, but the rule change affects all KCBS competitions this weekend.
Hmmm...thanks guys...I'll throw it out to the PNWBA president and see what he says...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Glad I have been practicing for the last month putting together parsly boxes for my first comp... fffeewwwww time well spent lol
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

FDA recalls for produce like this have been known to drag on and expand, so those going to the Jack and the Royal would be well-advised to have a plan B for your boxes.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote