• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Multi-Meat Pron

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The folx from Over Your Head called me up and told me they were craving some of my Q. So I did an overnight cook (on a work night) to accommodate them.

I did 2 racks of ribs rubbed w/Simply Marvelous Poultry Rub and 2 rubbed w/Butt Glitter Sprinkle from Barbefunkoramaque. Both had Bigmista's Secret Sauce.

103108007.jpg

A Boneless Butt w/Simply Marvelous...

103108010.jpg

A tri-tip done with the tri-layer rub technique from Barbefunkoramaque and 3 armadillo eggs...

103108016.jpg

And some pig candy (It IS Halloween.)

103108014.jpg

I didn't really get to taste anything because I had to go to work but MrsMista said the crew loved it

No wondering these guys are always coming back, that is a tasty looking spread!

Looks great brother. Tough to do on a work night! That's pretty cool they wanted you to cook for them.

Looks great Neil. So have they told you when the show might air?

It all looks great, that tri-tip with the triple layer looks extra good to me

Outstanding job Neil!

Think they will come and reroof my barn if I feed them Q?

Hey Neil - hook a brotha up with some of that "secret sauce", man those ribs look delicious!

No news on the show. I think they will shoot all the episodes before the new season starts. Probably not until after the first of the year. Interesting note: The next few shows are going to be taping in the Long Beach area. I wonder why?

Nice looking groceries, Mista! Even after looking at bbq every day, I'm still liking what I'm seeing.

No news on the show. I think they will shoot all the episodes before the new season starts. Probably not until after the first of the year. Interesting note: The next few shows are going to be taping in the Long Beach area. I wonder why?

SERIOUS DISCUSSION (TRULEY INSPIRED BY MISTA)

I don't wanna start nuthing but first let me tell you how good those ribs look before I get into the CONTROVERSY (Prince Song).

Those ribs look wonderful.
So Good in fact Mista I am seriously contemplating giving in and serving some up with sauce next year. For 15 years I have sold ribs with sauce on the side. I have hated how pretty ribs look with all that glaze on them like you see at contests. Too pretty to eat. Naw, You ribs still have that rustic Texas Look.

Lets take ribs and compare them to Sinatra's voice.
There's the type ribs that are pretty and mahogony but with no trace of blackness or anything. Like Sinatra in his 1930's 1940's hey day. Then, in my opinion, The Sinatra voice that was mellowed with nicotine and Jack Daniels for 20 or more years (Sinatra in the 1950's - 1960's.) That's Mista's Ribs. There's more depth to Sinatra's voice, it carries with it some scars of life. Pain! Heartbreak! Joy! There's a person that cooked those ribs, not some guy looking to win a pagent with them, but one wanting you to feel the love when you sit at his table.

Now that that is said I have to say something controversial. Your ribs look like they were cooked by a musician and not a sampler... know what I mean? Musicians can deviate from the sheet music (real pitmasters or Maceo Parker) but samplers are a prisoners to the original track (competition blind box ribs or the Black Eyed Peas). Your ribs look tight. I mean Tight like the JB's tight.

There's a resturant round here that is a chain. 99 Resturants.
They serve a spare ribs platter that has a sauce on it that I love. (And the sauce contradicts my heritage) I am a sour sauce guy. A real western Texas sauce kinda guy. But 99's sauce has two major elements: Mustard and Honey. Now y'all already know how to make my "Hit Me Fred" Sauce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGS5WyyZrA4

And I make tons of it for my Pulled pork cuz its different. Throws a real trick at them. It has a base of Mustard with a background of something tomato.

Well this year I started doing a Memphis Fried Chicken Platter called "Fried and Dipped Chicken for Half-Assed Friends" that had a dipping sauce of Hot sauce, Honey and Red Wine Vinegar, and it was a hit.

Having plenty of honey on hand I then added a crapload of honey to my hit me fred sauce and dipped my ribs before resting them and (for this region) they took off even more. I am contemplating changing this after 15 years. Mista may be pushing me over the edge.

Now back to your sauce. Your sauce has that background gold look to it. I see it on the crevices. It that what it is? Fred Wesley?

I like this sauce because once again it is funky (makes you nodd the head when you taste it)...

My question is this... y'all know I am all funked up on tradition... what the hell am I gonna do when faced with serving up a change like that. Specifically, I am a firm believer that a rack dipped in a sauce and thrown in a cambro until ready is different than a rack served with the same sauce on the side. Mista's got me all confused. I hate it when somebody kicks my ass. Hate it!

"Pound the drum Mista, betta be correct, cuz Popdaddy chase you with a Pop Intellect. Mista called his numba from the shoe from the hip, oh yeah, I'll turn the other cheek, I'll turn the other cheek, right after I Kick Somebody's Ass!"

Popdaddy - Mohegan Sun Live - October 31, 2008

Pitmaster "T" ass was just kicked by his own Chit.

I always say cooking is like drawing. "Anybody can learn to copy what they see whether it's pencil on paper or following a recipe. It takes something special to be able to create, whether it's a painting, a drawing or some ribs on a plate."

Ok I don''t always say that. I just made it up but it sounds good. True masters can jump ahead of the groove to create some energy or slide behind it to make it funky.

In my eyes, tradition is a starting point, not an end result. Can you dig it?

Back