My first Pit Beef - I need opinions from american pit masters

Serial344

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I've been far for a while but here we go with another recipe from your culture. Maybe you don't remember me but I do remember you!
I have alway the same obsession: I want to learn from you to all the techniques and use the italian cooking style to make a new kind of barbecue. To make it possible I've to know well hot to make a great american barbecue and I'm studying a lot even if, for the time being, it's not possible to me travel to america to attend classes from masters.
So here I am to post my work asking for your ideas and reviews. I need to improve my knowledge so please donate me some minutes of your precious time to light my road.
Ok, let me start with the recipe:
No secrets for you. I made the rub with....

1-½ tblsp salt;
1-½ tblsp black pepper;
1 tblsp garlic powder;
1 tblsp oregano;
2-½ tblsp sweet paprika;

The meat is half trimmed buttock.
Brush some dijon mustard and sprinkle with the rub. Wrap with plastic warp and let absorb the flavor overnight in the fridge.
I made the horseradish sauce (as the original recipe) grating the horseradish into a tbsp of vinergar just to keep the heat.

I make the sauce with mayonnayse, sour cream and horseradish.
After I made kaiser rolls by myself cooking them in my gas grill. It's easy to find the recipe...

While cooking kaiser rolls i put the meat on the grill. As far as I know, the pit beef isn't smoked but grilled.

I grilled the meat until reaching 140F internal.
After I made very thin slices to keep tenderness...

Mounted into a kaiser roll with lettuce and horseradish sauce..
That's all...
I wait for you verdict!:icon_bigsmil

God bless america!

Greetings from Italy....

Attachments

• PitBeef16.jpg
    PitBeef16.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 251
If i made something that looked like that i wouldn't even have to ask. Besides I would still be eating, ortoo full to type! Great job.

Oh yeah, that's lookin good!

Lord willing, I'll be over there in Florence middle of September, are you close, I could stop by for a sandwich!

Good looking meat. Imagine it would be great with bbq sauce as well!!

I have a weak spot for horseradish sauce, so I will take 2 please!!:smile:

I personally like a touch of cayenne to a rub..how much depends on how hot you like it...I love it hot but anymore I am leaning towards just enough to give a slight bit fo heat to the back of your throat at the finish of a piece of meat.

Heat on the front side, as you first start to eat a piece, tends to take away from the flavor of the meat IMO.

That being said...great looking pron!!

Last edited:
Wow, great looking sandwich! I like a good horseradish sauce as well.

My only suggestion would be to add a little onion powder and maybe some brown sugar to your rub.

Welcome back our Italian friend.

That is indeed some great looking food. If I were to make any suggestion it might be to move that beautiful hunk of beef a little further off the goals when you cooking it. A good sear would be nice and this indirect the rest of the way to 140.

Great job!

That sandwich looks great and I am a big fan of the horseradish sauce.
I see a lot of juices on the cutting board - did you rest the meat before you slices it? I imagine a nice rest in a cooler would do wonders.

I personally like a touch of cayenne to a rub..how much depends on how hot you like it...I love it hoe but anymore I am leaning towards just enough to give a slight bit fo heat to the back of your throat at the finish of a piece of meat.

Must be having a fat finger day....

Welcome back Serial!!! We've missed you even though I've been trying to keep up with your site!

Wow, great looking sandwich! I like a good horseradish sauce as well.

My only suggestion would be to add a little onion powder and maybe some brown sugar to your rub.
I agree, a little onion powder goes a long way... Also, you could try substituting Lemon pepper for the black pepper.

That is indeed some great looking food. If I were to make any suggestion it might be to move that beautiful hunk of beef a little further off the goals when you cooking it. A good sear would be nice and this indirect the rest of the way to 140.
I would also think about adding a smoke bomb to the corner of your coals... This is made up of wood chips in foil with some holes poked into it... Could add some of that smoke flavor you like so much....

Again, welcome back my friend!!!!

Great looking sandwich!

Since you asked for more ideas, here you go. I like pluging roast with garlic to give it that extra punch. Just insert a small knife in 5-6 spots in the roast and push a small piece of garlic in the hole. You will be suprised at the amount of flavor it adds. But then again may be not as you are Italian. :-D

Looks great........i'll take two please:biggrin:

He said buttocks!
Great looking sammie Serial.
I would agree that I would cook it a little more indirect, but it sure looked good the way it was.

Back