MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #3811
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Phubar, that size basket is just fine. My longest cook has been about 18 hours and didn't need to refuel. You are good to go brother.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #3812
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
'til you run out of groceries!!!
Nice looking basket

True,true!
Thanx guys for the anwsers.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #3813
BBQNOOB
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

just brought my barrel home from a reconditioning business. 8 individual wash stations including an acid bath, and sandblasted on the outside. I am going to wash the thing out to remove any residuals from the baths, and start drilling this weekend :) Cant wait. Should be complete early next week. I will post pics of the build.
BBQNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #3814
smokeythebama
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Viva, I will try just the lid and see what happens. If it fails, I will use the gasket and try to rig it.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #3815
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
Just another possible cause (the one that gave me the most grief). What are you using for charcoal? I had the same problem with some older bags lying aground (one open for over a year, second one stored in a humid enviroment). Mosture absorbed by the charcoal was acting as a natural thermostat in my UDS. Fresh bag of (dryer) charcoal solved the problem. I also notice that the unburnt charcoal in my UDS will absorbe mosture occasionally between useage.
x2 my temps were up and down and totally unpredictable until I bought a Bag of fresh briquets. At first I used what I had leftover in bags around the house.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #3816
jlough69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Today I got my charcoal basket back from the welder and I realized that I gave the wrong measurement in height.
My basket is now 13cm/5" tall and diameter is 43cm/17".
How long can I cook with a full basket if everything is going ok (temp,wind etc.)?
Thanx!
I also had a basket made and I think the guy welding was really getting into it - he built it like a tank! 16" dia 6" tall

I wanted to see how a full basket (to the top rim but not any higher)would burn and cooked for 12 hours and burned little over 1/3 of the coals. It will definately cook for as long as I need it to.

Sits about 3" high on the coal grate. Ash drops right through.

Just added coals to start the cook.

18.5 weber kettle,22.5 OTS, ECB, WSM, UDS and a Splash Proof Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
jlough69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #3817
Norcoredneck

You could get a better flavor if you align the grooves on the K

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #3818
jlough69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
You could get a better flavor if you align the grooves on the K
LMAO - I want to try lump one of these days but am still getting the hang of cooking in the drum.

18.5 weber kettle,22.5 OTS, ECB, WSM, UDS and a Splash Proof Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
jlough69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #3819
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
12 hour burn and I still have the red liner......only like 30% of it burned off.....HELP!!!!!!

Biggs, how big a fire did you build? You have to put a lot of wood in the barrel to get that liner off. It is tough stuff. Flames should be shooting out about 3 feet above the barrel.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #3820
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Biggs, how big a fire did you build? You have to put a lot of wood in the barrel to get that liner off. It is tough stuff. Flames should be shooting out about 3 feet above the barrel.
Helps if you have the holes in the bottom to add oxygen from the bottom.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #3821
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlough69 View Post
I also had a basket made and I think the guy welding was really getting into it - he built it like a tank! 16" dia 6" tall

I wanted to see how a full basket (to the top rim but not any higher)would burn and cooked for 12 hours and burned little over 1/3 of the coals. It will definately cook for as long as I need it to.

Daayyyuuuumm!!!
That's efficient!
Sweet looking basket btw.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #3822
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Man, what a great idea that cork thing is!!! Glad you didn't kiss. I once knew a guy who insisted that if things weren't done his way they couldn't be right. There's more than one way to skin a cat... and bbq him too! lmao

Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #3823
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Oh Flames were high and hot.....Going to give it another burn then some elbow grease.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #3824
moda253

Default Reconditioning process

Ok first of all this thread is the holy grail of information. And thanks to everyone (although I'm on page 149 of the read) for helping me get my first UDS built. I found a reconditioned drum from a company and brought it home and did three burnouts on it. Sanded down the inside (although there wasn't much left in there anyway) and built a very simple UDS.

It has a 7" deep grill flat top using just the 2" bung for exhaust. I drilled three 1" holes but have found I barely need to open 1 of them more than a quarter (I use magnets - simple) of the way.

So I was fairly certain that my drum was clean but I started getting paranoid so I called the company and described the barrel and asked if it had been used to carry anything toxic or hazordous. He told me that in their reconditioning process that they burn the barrels at 1800* bearing blast them, then heat them up again are washed with a detergent and some other steps.

Basically he said there isn't anything I should have to worry about. Now he did say that if it was unlined that I shouldn't use it for storing food. So I asked him I said what about for a BBQ, he said that I am fine. I told him that I had also burned it out and sanded it down (it was painted on the inside) he said that he could have given me one that wasn't painted.

I paid $27 and could have had it without paint in it. The name of the company is Consolidated Container Company in NE Minneapolis MN if anyone is interested. They were really good people to work with and you wouldn't have believed how many drums they have.

So if you are in the twin cities area and looking for a drum this is a good place to go.

Again thanks for all the help and information you guys have given me. I made the best pulled pork I have ever made thanks to you guys and I think Levi and Strauss will be thanking you too as I'm sure that my waistline is going to be expanding real soon.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #3825
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

I have finally acquired all of the parts and tools I need to assemble my UDS.

Now I have a few questions regarding paint (I'm looking to take the "U" out of UDS). What kind of paint do you use (other than BBQ black)? Is it necessary to use a high heat paint? If so, can I put a base coat of high heat and then paint over it with a non-high heat paint, like a rustoleum?

Many thanks to all the great ideas in this thread and I hope to be adding my build and completed pics in the near future!

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker