MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Trimming Brisket for Comps

How much fat do you trim from your briskets ? This is a picture of the first place brisket at New Holland
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

That's pretty much it for us also and our briskie has been doing well.

TIM

Old 09-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

wow...

i leave it mostly intact, remove all the yellow, or very hard stuff, and even out any deep pockets. try to even the fat cap, thats about it...

But that thar brisket looks naked.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I guess this begs the question of "Why do you trim (or not trim) the fat cap from Brisket".

We used to leave it on, now we remove it almost totally.

Seems that if you put rub on thick fat, it just melts away with the fat. That leaves bare (unspiced) meat, or meat with a layer of nasty fat to present the judges or trim off.
If the fat is trimmed, the rub flavor stays on the meat and is "useful".
We get full bark all around the brisket by removing the fat.

Some say the fat cap (if down) will "cushion" the bottom of the meat That very well may be true on cookers where the heat comes from the bottom. However, we cook on a rotisserie, so the heat is swirling all around--coming from everywhere. Works for us.

So, we find that we get a better product by trimming the fat cap off.

An unexpected side effect is that there is much less useless grease rendering off. Cooker is much easier to keep clean.

This is gonna be a matter of personal preference and will probably vary a lot depending on the cooker.
So, this is just FWIW from my perspective.

TIM

Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Great tips, I guess it is all relative to your smoker?
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Last briskets I did were flats. They had a nice creamy white fat cap and not very thick. I just did a mustard base, rubbed them and placed them in the smoker. Came out awesome. When I do full packer briskets, I prep them same as Phil mentioned. If your worrying about the melting fat washing or melting away the rub on top. Sprinkle a bit more rub on the meat when you pull it of your pit. Ive had great luck doing that also. Just dont do it all the time. I like to tweak and expierment when doing things. My guests tell me the meat tastes just fine. Hard for me to judge my own cooking as Im my own worst nighmare. When it comes for me to judge my own Q-uin.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull
Hard for me to judge my own cooking as Im my own worst nighmare. When it comes for me to judge my own Q-uin.
I know what you mean. My wife keeps getting pissed at me becuase she's always telling me how great my ribs are and I always keep telling her what's wrong with them.

I'm still experimenting with the best way for me to cook a brisket. haven't quite mastered my trimming skills yet.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've taken the fat cap off after cooking, but now I'm going to have to try taking it off before. I like my rub... It should be good stuff!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
butts
Full Fledged Farker

I tend to leave a little more fat cap than the picture illustrates. As Kapn said it depends on the cooker. I cook on a Stump's where all the heat comes from the bottom so I feel that a little more fat helps keep the bottom from drying out. Yes, fat side down for me!

I do also reseason about halfway through my cooking time.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts
I tend to leave a little more fat cap than the picture illustrates. As Kapn said it depends on the cooker. I cook on a Stump's where all the heat comes from the bottom so I feel that a little more fat helps keep the bottom from drying out. Yes, fat side down for me!

I'd love to see some pics of your Stump's, and learn more about how they work....

Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We trim alot of the fat off... leave about 1/8" or so... we also put the fat side down (thanks DrBBQ for that tip) and have done ok with brisket. I have tried a naked brisket and different injections, but have found a little fat makes a difference.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Wow, that shows what I know. I always do mine like the Poob said. If someone showed me that pic without any description, I'd have said that the cook didn't know what he was doing. First place pretty much rules out that idea though (nice going Steve). Just goes to show, don't knock it 'till you've tried it, even if it flies in the face of conventional wisdom. I can see the advantages of the technique as far as full coverage on the bark but I'm afraid that I'd be able to use that brisket for a skid plate on my truck after it came out of my WSM. I do trim my butts this way to maximize bark since there's not much chance of them drying out.
Any pics of the finished product?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #13
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts

I do the same I leave about a 1/8 of a fat cap and cook fat down. I have a home made vertical smoker like a stumps. seams to work good for me.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I trim most all of the "hard" fat off. A 12 pound brisket probably weighs 10 pounds when I'm done trimming. I take off that nasty yellowish fat on the fat cap and all the thick stuff. I trim excessive fat off the top of the flat. I also never bother to season the bottom (fat cap).
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #15
bob n humble
Knows what a fatty is.

I trim mine down to about 1/8 all over, and cut the fat pockets out as well. When I'm done the flat and the point are just about seperated. I save the trimmings so when I flip it over at about half way done I can put the fat back on. There has been times when I have weighed the trimmings and found that I had reduced the wt. by about a lb.
Bob
bob n humble is offline   Reply With Quote