Marathon UDS burn time

StanDaMan79

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I did a brisket on Thanksgiving. Took my barrel down to my daughters place, lit it around 7am. My basket will hold a 20 lb bag of briquets, so I filled it up. Ran the barrel at 300, so I could try the hot and fast method. Once the brisket was done, I shut down the barrel.

This morning, I went down to get my barrel, I had bought 2 briskets, and wanted to cook the other, along with some wings, done up with Oakridge BBQ's Habenero Death Dust.

To my absolute shock, when I was breaking the UDS down to enpty out the ash, from what I thought was a half full basket, I found it was still making heat, and there was probably about a chimney full of partialy burned briquets, still going. I didn't bother to look at the therm, as I expected it to be dead cold. I shook the ash out, placed them back in the barrel, and within a few minutes, it was at 180.

Put the barrel in my truck, drove the eight miles home, unloaded it, and put in the briquets for the cook of todays brisket/wings. started a dozen briquets in the chimney. Danged if the basket didn't get going from what was left. Turns out, one of the 3/4" pipes had a loose lid, held on by just a thread or too, and, as I have my exhaust holes, just under the lid, (for hanging chicken) there was a tiny slit, where I didn't quite get the hole covered.

So, 3 full days, plus 3-4 hours, and there was still heat and still briquets left smoldering.
Amazing.

I killed the brisket on Thanksgiving, turned it into a leathery hunk, as I got called in to work for an hour and a half. Looking back, I should of pulled it off, wrapped it and put it back on after I returned. Didn't think of that until much later. But, as stated, even a bad brisket is pretty good, and I finished off the last of it last night. So, today is my redemption cook. I'll post pictures and a report. Thanks for reading!

Wow,you had a lot going on. I cook on a UDS and just love it. I am still amazed at the efficiency of how they use the fuel. I always fill my basket up before each cook. It seems it is very stable when I do that.

You have an air leak which i would find because your drum should shut down in a very short time....30 minutes maybe. You should be able to use the un burnt for the next cook.

You have an air leak which i would find because your drum should shut down in a very short time
Agreed. Loose cap, and a slight gap in my exhaust holes where the magnet SHOULD of covered the hole. But a slight gap, and a tiny leak at the intake, with the basket at full burn at the time of shutdown, after 6 hours of cook time.
Just surprised how it just kept burning so long.

I've cooked in it a dozen times since I built in in late September, alway shout down before. Total operator error, but great experience.

Back