Under $1 thousand

grisch

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After good years, it's time to retire my pitmaster and step it up. As I began researching new smokers I came across this site and had to join.

Forgive the newbie nature of this post, but I did search on a several criteria to determine if anything similar has been posted recently. If you had $1k as your max budget, which smoker would you purchase and why?

Here are my particulars: Our family has grown 5, we now live in Nashville, Tn and we frequently have guests over for BBQ. My old pitmaster is rusted out, doesn't have enough grill space and was difficult to regulate temp. I checked out the Traeger's at a fireplace store locally but pellets and electricity would take the fun out of smoking for me. I really enjoy wood smoking.

Several years ago I had a neibor who owned the Bandera and he consistently achieved better results. However, I checked one out at an Academy sports recently and it appears that build quality was substantially worse than several years ago (thinner steel, cheaper hardware, etc) but at a better price ($200 v I think he paid somewhere in the $300-$400 range). They also carried a NB Longhorn ($400) and Longhorn Deluxe ($545) which appeared to have better build quality.

Anyway, I'm just starting my research and I thought would get advice from veterans. Thanks for the help.

-Grisch

Where are you located? Academy also carries a horizontal with a vertical chamber for like $750. The Longhorn seems to be a good pit for $400. Then you could also through in a WSM $200. And still be $400 below 1K. Check with Spicewine. Also, check into the world of quality used heavy guage pits like Klose, OK Joes, etc.. Ebay helps if you're not in a hurry.

Ty

Thanks guys.

Thillin, I haven't seen the horizontal with the vertical chamber at Academy. I live in Nashville, TN. Where have you seen it?

A grand will buy a lot of pit.

I'd look at the Primo Oval, not a stick burner, but a lot of cooker for the price.

Bates, Klose, Horizon, and Gator all have great backyard smokers for around a grand. Freight would put you over budget, but hey, you only live once...

I have a WSM and a Bandera. I like them both.

My (blood) brothers and I bought my parents The Longhorn.

It's a heavy SOB. I know 'cause it took 4 of us to load in the truck in Sugarland. Unloading in Kentucky was easier (gravity is our friend).

The folks love The Longhorn. It's 1/4" I think and has ample space for what they want to do.

The BYC knockoff looks interesting, but right now I'm at my limit of 4 pits.

For a thousand....you could get a BYC knockoff and either a WSM or Bandera....or a Longhorn and both a WSM and a Bandera.....

grisch said:
Thanks guys.

Thillin, I haven't seen the horizontal with the vertical chamber at Academy. I live in Nashville, TN. Where have you seen it?

The brinkman with 2 chambers is called the Southfork. i think it may blow your budget. The longhorn is a nice cooker, as is the deluxe version too. Also, an option is the Brinkman Smoke Kind Deluxe. Its a backwards bandera, but slightly better made than the charbroil version. Another option, our for sale section also has banderas for sale for 300 bucks from a member, and i *think* they are new braunfels models, which are of better quality than the charbroil. Dont know how far you are for a pickup though.

If it were me and my money, I would first talk to Steve over at Bate's Pits and then I would do the same thing with Ritch over at Gator Pits... Both of these fellas should be able to build you one heck of a pit for a grand...

The pits they build will last several life times... and your close enough to make a weekend out of picking it up in person and save on the freight!

http://www.batespitts.com/

http://www.gatorpit.net/

James.

if your going to gator and bates, ya may as well stop at Klose too, they are all in the same general area.

www.bbqpits.com

and hate to sound repetitive, but spicewine has one for 800 on his website and thats within budget.

www.spicewineironworks.com

the search continues

Thanks guys, I emailed bates, gator, klose and horizon.

I also went back to Academy. The Bandera was a New Braunfels model but it's definitely the cheaper made model. The Longhorn and Longhorn Deluxe were really solid but I'm still shooting for a vertical design.

The spiceworks models look really well built but I like smoking with wood.

I'll keep you posted as the search continues

thanks again

All of this information is great! does Academy have a web site?

I'm not certain how much pit you can still get for a grand from Gator or Klose. I think you are at $1100-1200 for a Klose 20 x 36" now. If you are willing to pick up the pit, you may squeek in for $1000 from Gator. What about the Brinkmann Cimarron? Somebody here has one I believe. I almost went that way before I bought my first Klose. My ultimate advice would be that you scrounge up the extra money and get a 42" x 20 Klose or Gator. Woody

yup, the 42x20 was the one I was headed for then everyone did the "you'll need a bigger pit soon" and soon I was up to the BYC. which, by the way, is one hell of a pit. First cook is Friday!!! Scott

Yakfishingfool said:
yup, the 42x20 was the one I was headed for then everyone did the "you'll need a bigger pit soon" and soon I was up to the BYC. which, by the way, is one hell of a pit. First cook is Friday!!! Scott

Yep on the 20x42 (from experience). We need pics from the maiden cook Scott.

Back