MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Jamaican Hot Sauce "Grady" ?

I was watching a recorded episode of Bizarre Foods last night and Andrew Zimmern was in Jamaica. Towards the end of the show he was at some family's house and was eating a fish that was stuffed with something. He then put on what he called "Grady" - He said it was Jamaican hot sauce made in old rum bottles. I think he said it was made with soy, vinegar, sugar, allspice and scotch bonnet peppers. It sounded really good so I tried to find a recipe online for it with no luck. Has anybody heard of this stuff? Anyone have a recipe? He was with an Asian family, so perhaps it was just something that their family made???

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Not what you're looking for but...

http://youtu.be/gmyw1w79a4U

I would actually love to see some one come up with a recipe as that sauce sounds awesome!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Grace's Hot Pepper Sauce is out of Jamaica:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/grachotpepsa.html
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Grace's Hot Pepper Sauce is out of Jamaica:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/grachotpepsa.html

This stuff wasn't like regular hot sauce - it looked more like an Asian dipping sauce. Here is a screen capture of the sauce:

Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
kingsnob
Knows what a fatty is.

Man that looks hot!

If you do get the resipe I would like to get it as well.

In College I had a roomate who would make the world's wimmpiest chilli. It was basically tomato soup with beef in it.

Then we got a new roomate, Magnon from Jamica. He had a sause that looked similar to that, that him mom made. He put two teaspoons in three Gallons of Chilli, and it went from wimmpy to scary hot.

His mother never gave anyone the recipe, but man I would love to have it.

John

350 Gallon Converted Fuel Oil tank Pig Roaster
UDS
Kenmore 5 Burner Gasser
18" Weber Charcoal Grill.
kingsnob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

I saw the episode. That's an Appleton's Rum bottle he has it in there. Looks like it's going to be tough to find a recipe...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Sounded to me like he said "gravy".

It is basically just vinegar and a little soy (and some allspice berries) in a bottle full of peppers. Same thing we do in the south with just vinegar.

It ain't rocket science.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
martyleach

Where is Phrasty??? He needs to chime in here.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Cook
Babbling Farker

The ingredients the OP listed are what Andrew said (I think). Shouldn't need the recipe since you already have a list of the contents. Just use the proportions of each that please your palate. A little fish sauce wouldn't be bad either.

I'm sure many Chinee families in Jamaica make a similar hot sauce. You've not tasted good Chinee food until you taste it made with Caribbean ingredients.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Geez, He's gone and busted it! Ok guys, here's the deal... That family is Chinese Jamaican (I actually know them... yeah small world, right??) but thats not a purely chinese thing. It's a True all round Jamaican thing. I've been making that stuff for years, and I've been planning to move to New Orleans and make MILLIONS off of it!

What it started out as is our local hot sauce we put on Oysters... and for that reason I can never eat oysters in the states cuz you guys dont have this & I'm sorry but your horseradish & cocktail sauce just doesn't even come close! But it can go on all sorts of foods... Predominantly seafoods.

Basically its:
White cane Vinegar
sugar/honey
pimento
carrots
onion/scallion or shallots if yah got em
yes you can add a touch of soy...
and a crap load of scotch bonnets!

You can make it as hot or as sweet as you want and its amazing either way. I'll try get a recipe down for you over the weekend. But remember I'm gonna make MILLIONS off it... so .......

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
martyleach

Phrasty, you are the man! I knew you could count on us to keep your secret. Hey, it's only millions, right? Thanks Bro for jumping in.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
What it started out as is our local hot sauce we put on Oysters... and for that reason I can never eat oysters in the states cuz you guys dont have this & I'm sorry but your horseradish & cocktail sauce just doesn't even come close!
Ever been treated to Trinidadian oyster sauce? You've not lived until downing a few shooters in T&T.

I also like their dime sized oysters for this. Stateside you'd get laughed out of the oyster bar for serving those things...but boy they work great for shooters.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks everyone for your input. I figured since he gave a list of ingredients on the show I would just try and mix up my own if I couldn't find a recipe. To me it sounded like a great hot sauce to use on fish tacos.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrain View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I figured since he gave a list of ingredients on the show I would just try and mix up my own if I couldn't find a recipe. To me it sounded like a great hot sauce to use on fish tacos.
oh yeah...now that'd be good.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Geez, He's gone and busted it! Ok guys, here's the deal... That family is Chinese Jamaican (I actually know them... yeah small world, right??) but thats not a purely chinese thing. It's a True all round Jamaican thing. I've been making that stuff for years, and I've been planning to move to New Orleans and make MILLIONS off of it!

What it started out as is our local hot sauce we put on Oysters... and for that reason I can never eat oysters in the states cuz you guys dont have this & I'm sorry but your horseradish & cocktail sauce just doesn't even come close! But it can go on all sorts of foods... Predominantly seafoods.

Basically its:
White cane Vinegar
sugar/honey
pimento
carrots
onion/scallion or shallots if yah got em
yes you can add a touch of soy...
and a crap load of scotch bonnets!

You can make it as hot or as sweet as you want and its amazing either way. I'll try get a recipe down for you over the weekend. But remember I'm gonna make MILLIONS off it... so .......

Cheers
I'm in Oyster country.... Got a big ol gathering in 2 weeks.....This sounds like the stuff I wanna be packin.... Thanks for posting

Thanks from:--->