MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam
Default First Rib Roast game plan; input appreciated.

So…Mrs Snadamo got this monster rib roast for Christmas. 13lbs! I was expecting 7-8 pounder but it was the last one the butcher had. So anyway, I haven’t done one before, and I’m not going to be in a position or stable mind to tinker on Christmas Day.

That being said, my game plan at a high level is this:
  1. bones appear to be separated already, so possibly just french them
  2. Trim fat to taste
  3. dry brine with a basic SPG overnight in fridge
  4. this this is MASSIVE and womt fit any vac seal bag. so will use oven bag for sous vide
  5. sous vide @ 130 for 6 hours
  6. after six or so hours, sear it on either charcoal or gas grill
  7. possibility make a garlic butter to drizzle on it too. undecided

I had to by a larger container also because it didn’t fit my 12 qt; which is fine cause I’ll use it for multiple purposes. I have a backup plan if things fail for just about everything, but I think given the day, and what it means, I really want to use the KISS method.

What do you guys think? Appreciate any and all brethren feedback. I’ve been reading that excellent rib roast thread by Gore and it’s great.

Edit: sorry for upside down pics; outside grilling chicken :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32D87FA0-B625-4883-B139-715CEA964255.jpg (91.3 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 1620735D-C164-412D-B7C3-6D52D5DE6C08.jpg (70.2 KB, 246 views)
The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset
snadamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #2
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe cut some steaks off of it to get it down to a manageable size. That was my thoughts on the one I ordered from SRF (ended up being perfect size already)

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
Maybe cut some steaks off of it to get it down to a manageable size. That was my thoughts on the one I ordered from SRF (ended up being perfect size already)

That has certainly crossed my mind, although I don’t have a true headcount yet. But unless is like 30+ I can’t imagine needed that much.
The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset

Old 12-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #4
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snadamo View Post
That has certainly crossed my mind, although I don’t have a true headcount yet. But unless is like 30+ I can’t imagine needed that much.
I usually account almost 1lbs of raw meat per person for bone in roasts

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I usually account almost 1lbs of raw meat per person for bone in roasts
Thanks Smoke Ninja. Would you count 1/2 lb for kids?

Old 12-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #6
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

I do not have any Sous Vide recommendations for you as I have never attempted a big piece of meat like that.

I have taken a liking to cooking 5-6 pound prime ribs rather than the whole thing. I feel I get a more even cook with the smaller pieces when cooking at 225 degrees on my smoker. Therefore, I would suggest you cut it in half. Cut in half might work better in the bath as well.

As for the children, unless you know they are red meat eaters, I would prepare chicken chunks or chicken tenders.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Robert
Robert is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2022, 07:46 AM   #7
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I have taken a liking to cooking 5-6 pound prime ribs rather than the whole thing. I feel I get a more even cook with the smaller pieces when cooking at 225 degrees on my smoker. Therefore, I would suggest you cut it in half. Cut in half might work better in the bath as well.
I'm in the same camp. While not applicable to sous vide, we get a couple smaller roasts and cook them to two different temps to satisfy the natives with differing preferences. We also order the roasts from the small / loin end to reduce the size of the glob of fat around the eye found on the large / chuck end.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

If the ribs are separated, use them to make gravy. Chef John at Food Wishes just did a video on how to make it. I plan to do this with some of the bones from my rib roast that I recently bought.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
SmokeOCD
is one Smokin' Farker

All pellet smoker, low for 60-75min for smoke, then 325* until done. It's a very easy tinker free cook.
Split in two as suggested by others gives you more ends and more range of doneness to serve,
for kids and even adults who don't appreciate a true medium rare.
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #10
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

As for the children, unless you know they are red meat eaters, I would prepare chicken chunks or chicken tenders.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Robert

Oh, my boys certainly are :D

Thank you and Merry Christmas as well!

Old 12-19-2022, 01:47 PM   #11
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds pretty similar to my game plan.

I have a roughly 8 lb roast... I had to cut the bones off to get it to fit in my vacuum bag. My plan is putting it in the sous-vide straight from the freezer for 10 hours at 133, then let it rest until it's cool enough not to melt butter, and slather it in a compound butter and into the oven at 475 for about 15 minutes or until it has a nice color.

Kinda bummed I had to cut the bones off. Oh well, I'll make stock with it I guess.

The only thing I question on your plan is the time in the bath. Most everything I see says 6-8 hours for a standard 3 bone roast. Yours being almost half again bigger I would think you might want to go a bit longer on.

Old 12-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #12
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Just cooked one Friday. I cut it down in half, made steaks out of other half, removed the bones completely and dry brined it overnight. 250 on the offset, then a sear on the firebox. Smoked the bones for a bit, removed the meat and refrigerated overnight. The prime rib was perfect and perfect amount for the family. Deep fried them next day for fried steak bites and dusted with garlic parm seasoning. Used every bit of the roast. Just picked up another full roast at the commissary for 4.99 a pound to break into steaks.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #13
smoke ninja

Quote:
Thanks Smoke Ninja. Would you count 1/2 lb for kids?
it all depends the crowd...how big the eaters are. I would count 1 lbs per person (kids included) figuring some will eat less but others will eat more. it's an average. I don't mind the leftovers so aim a little high. you can keep numbers tighter if you have another meat.

as you cook these things you'll get a feel for how much your crowd eats.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:08 PM   #14
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
Sounds pretty similar to my game plan.

I have a roughly 8 lb roast... I had to cut the bones off to get it to fit in my vacuum bag. My plan is putting it in the sous-vide straight from the freezer for 10 hours at 133, then let it rest until it's cool enough not to melt butter, and slather it in a compound butter and into the oven at 475 for about 15 minutes or until it has a nice color.

Kinda bummed I had to cut the bones off. Oh well, I'll make stock with it I guess.

The only thing I question on your plan is the time in the bath. Most everything I see says 6-8 hours for a standard 3 bone roast. Yours being almost half again bigger I would think you might want to go a bit longer on.
Thank you for bringing that up. I certainly have no issues starting earlier...other than I have to start it earlier haha. I was going to prep everything the night of xmas eve and then start it after presents; but I may just start it before.

Head count is only 8-11 people so I think we're good there. I think my beautiful wife says we are eating at 3ish so looking like 6AM bath for that hunk o meat.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #15
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I think my beautiful wife says we are eating at 3ish so looking like 6AM bath for that hunk o meat.

I just did the math on mine. I might rethink the idea of doing it from frozen. We're planning on eating at 3 as well with an hour travel time to the destination, which would mean I'd have to get up and get it going around 4 am for mine. Think I'll defrost it after all and save the 2 hours for sleeping.