Just got two phone calls

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
From different people - one asking me about meat and one asking me about how to to cook something on a WSM. It's his maiden cook.

Not sure when I became the expert, but it was nice to get those calls.

A lot of what I know now has come from info people on this forum have shared - so thanks folks!

Don't forget those finder's fees that you promised us. :wink:
Congrats! It means you're doing it right. Word of mouth is an amazing thing.

Yeah I don't mind giving some advice, but I chuckle when folks think because I can cook a few things..... I know how to cook most everything. Questions like "how do i cook these ducks" or what kind of dough you make for Beef Wellington" just crack me up 'cause I don't even know were to start.

Along these lines.... this is a good time to share this....right after Christmas one of my BBQ buddies gets a phone call from one of his friends wives who is arranging a suprise birthday party for about 25 people. She wants her hubby to barbecue either a prime rib or brisket for the party. My buddy recommends prime rib (as hubby is not really a barbecue man).

She overrides the PR suggestion and goes to the only high end meat market in town and leaves with two 17# briskets, to the tune of almost $300. Next day, Hubby calls my buddy for cooking instructions, and does NOT like the sound of Plan A: "get up at Midnight or 1AM and get the briskets on".

For Plan B, my buddy says "okay, put them on the smoker at 6AM, then foil them and into a 275° oven at noon and cook them tender". This guy is apparently a late riser and doesn't like Plan B either, and a day later he called back with his own Plan C: "I'll just put them in the smoker by 10AM, then slice about 4 or 5PM, and keep warm in some broth". I sure hope he re-considers....

:shocked:

People call me all the time to ask what I think. They always do the opposite of what I recommend for some reason.

I get the same calls,it's a boost to the ego. But I find they want me to tell them how to cook something in a 5 minute phone call, that has taken me years to learn. Hard to do, always feel like I didn't give them enough info.

I've got a couple buddies that we share info here and there about cooking in general. One of my buddies just bought his first wsm and he's been having a blast. I've helped where I could and its a nice feeling to get those calls for me. I'm by no means an expert but I find it to be good therapy when cooking with a nap before or after we eat!:becky:

Back