MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Default Old Country Smoker

Stopped by Academy to pick up some golf balls and of course I had to stroll through the Q department. They had what was labelled as "Old Country Handmade Smokers Brazos Model". The thing is aparently 20" diameter by about 40" long in the smoke chamber, weighs 470 pounds and says it is 3/16" steel. Comes with framed cooking grates, already has a firebox baffle plate and a 3" diameter stack located at main cooking grate height. Takes two hands to raise the top of the smoke chamber. All welded construction. They want $999 for the thing. I'm thinking of buying one to replace the Silver Smoker, which is going in the church garage sale in October. The spousal unit is limiting me to a grand to replace it, and this unit looks like more bang for that much dough than I can get from the big names. Anybody know about this brand? It is made in Laredo from rolled steel, not pipe.
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Sounds like you know as much about them as most of us do There have been a few posts here in the past about them, maybe you could search for them.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
LVBBQMan
On the road to being a farker

When CharBroil bought out New Braunsfels in about 2006, Academy was left in lurch as they were a major reseller of New Braunsfels models. They were not happy with the cheapness of the replacement models offered by Char Broil and searched to find a replacement fabricator. I have talked to the people at Old Country and Academy has just about consumed its entire fabrication capacity. They seem knowledgeable and a friend of mine in Houston has one and he likes it. His and my only concern is that the firebox is welded to the smoking chamber. If you run into problems such as burnthrough, you will have to have a new firebox fabricated, the old one cut off, and the new one welded on which will be a bit more of a problem for those of us that don't weld.
LVBBQMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

So what you're saying is take a welding class at night school so you can make freinds that know how to weld and like BBQ.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBBQMan View Post
When CharBroil bought out New Braunsfels in about 2006, Academy was left in lurch as they were a major reseller of New Braunsfels models. They were not happy with the cheapness of the replacement models offered by Char Broil and searched to find a replacement fabricator. I have talked to the people at Old Country and Academy has just about consumed its entire fabrication capacity. They seem knowledgeable and a friend of mine in Houston has one and he likes it. His and my only concern is that the firebox is welded to the smoking chamber. If you run into problems such as burnthrough, you will have to have a new firebox fabricated, the old one cut off, and the new one welded on which will be a bit more of a problem for those of us that don't weld.
That's some good info there.

Here's another dicussion on Old Country pits:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=country

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

i currently have been emailing old country about their pits. go to their website, they have many pits that they make. most of them they have a few premade in stock waiting to be picked up/shipped. I am interested in buying thier "all american" however i am going to get it custom built bc i want it to be 20x40 instead of 20x36. the all american lineup is a bit different than the old country look in that there is no big steel wheel and the firebox is square. i also am having them add a full size top slide out shelf as well. the price is 1060 plus 200 for the modifications. So comparing them to other high quality pits, the prices are very good. The only difference that i notice is that they are made from 3/16 instead of 1/4. However if you dont mind the 'old country' look (with the large steel wheel and round firebox) then they have the old country lineup on thier website that is 1/4 inch steel for around 900 for a similar size. im just waiting back for the email to tell me how long it will take to custom make mine before i send a deposit!

then will be the longest 3-4 weeks wait of my life, possibly.

but ill be smiling all 3-4 weeks

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Thanks for taking the time to read my question and answer. I have also sent an email to the manufacturer and am awaiting an answer. If I decide to buy direct, I am going to go for the square firebox as well. It appears to me that the closest thing I can get from the big guys (Klose, Gator, Lang, etc) would be another $400 - $500 for the same size unit. Since my budget is externally constrained, I may have to seriously consider this if I want to move up to a smoker that will handle bigger cooks.
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

One of the points that you may want to consider is that while Old Country cookers are based in Laredo, TX the cookers are actually manufactured just across the border in Mexico. It says so on their website.

I'm not taking a side one way or the other but it is something you may decide to consider when thinking about your purchase.

Blessings,

brotherbd
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

hmmm i didnt know that. i hate to say it, but in these crunch times... i can use the extra dough in my pocket :(

i was going to go with the party gator but its gonna run me 2100 roughly. however one of these old countrys (same size) will only run me about 1600. thats like free shipping!

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote