MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew
Default Frozen Cryovac question.

Ive had a whole pork shoulder in my deep freeze for a few months now. Last week I knocked a hole in the cryovac pulling out a frozen brisket. Its been frozen hard as a rock the whole time. Is it safe to thaw and cook this weekend?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

I dont have an answer for ya, but I do have a question....

How long is it safe to keep cryovac meats (briskets & butts) in a deep freezer??
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Ive had a whole pork shoulder in my deep freeze for a few months now. Last week I knocked a hole in the cryovac pulling out a frozen brisket. Its been frozen hard as a rock the whole time. Is it safe to thaw and cook this weekend?
Yes.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post

How long is it safe to keep cryovac meats (briskets & butts) in a deep freezer??
I have cooked a year old brisket and it came out great. I don't have a frost free freezer, so once it's frozen, it stays. It may looke a little quality, but it was still good.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
psjmiller
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I have worked in the foodservice industry for quite some time now. Your product should be fine as long as it has stayed frozen the entire time (not thawed and re-frozen), and assuming that it was not frozen close to or after it had expired. If it was frozen close to it's expiration date then I would thaw it naturally under refrigeration and inspect it. If a bag was accidentally opened then it could be re-sealed or wrapped (keeping it in a frozen state) to avoid outside contamination.
As a general rule of thumb for any restaurant I have worked in I will not recieve any product that has been frozen for longer than six months, but that is more of a quality issue than a safety issue. At home I have used product that has been frozen for longer than six months and it has turned out fine.

Paul
psjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->