MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
But if you like what you are doing, is it really work?
Ah, you assumed I was being fascetious. I did say Excellent! That could be taken a few ways. In this case, you were looking for the work and found it. Excellent! as in Fantastic! Fabulous! As in that's a Farmer's Market I might feel comfortable enough to attend without a crew of Brethren surrounding me. Not that I'd be scared by myself in Watts....but my wife wouldn't go with me....yeah, that's it, the wife wouldn't go so I couldn't....

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bentley and Country have both been to Watts and you are taller than both of them!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Congrats on getting approved again!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
leanza
Babbling Farker

Really happy for you Mista. Hard work pays off...You will succeed.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #20
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Way to go Neil, Its perfect, Watts on Saturday and Atwater on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing you at the Watts one for the BBQ Crawl.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

OOPS, I almost forgot. Congrats to Mrs. Mista also.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
With the first one we did. The second one is run by the same group so we were recommended by the lady who runs the first one.
Marsha, not quite the ways it's done. You have to submit an application. If the market wants you and you're a food vendor then they ask for samples. If you're good then they either recommend you to other market managers or they are the manager for more then one market.
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #23
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in So Cal View Post
OOPS, I almost forgot. Congrats to Mrs. Mista also.
Thanks for remembering me Brian. Neil may do all the cooking but I'm the one that has to keep up with the paperwork. And with Neil that ain't easy.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
leanza
Babbling Farker

Mista, keep all your reciepts, check your pockets before you throw your the clothes in the wash. Keep the CFO happy!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

We checked out Atwater Village yesterday and the market is about 3 x's the size of Watts. I expect to do a lot better there. The only thing is they asked us not to do chicken since we'll be directly across from the guy whose whole menu consist of something with chicken.

We also ran into one of the fruit vendors from Watts and he told us since he's been there he's sold out every weekend and he's ordering a whole brisket this coming Sunday.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMista View Post
Marsha, not quite the ways it's done. You have to submit an application. If the market wants you and you're a food vendor then they ask for samples. If you're good then they either recommend you to other market managers or they are the manager for more then one market.
Thank you for the information! We have been thinking of approaching a couple of the local farmer's markets around here. Our only problem is that we have vending events at festivals and such on most of the weekends in the summer.

Quote:
Thanks for remembering me Brian. Neil may do all the cooking but I'm the one that has to keep up with the paperwork. And with Neil that ain't easy.
Same here MrsMista! My hubby would never make it if he didn't have me to do all of the organizing, paperwork, applications, etc. Okay, maybe he would, but he would not be organized, that's for certain. ;)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #27
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
We checked out Atwater Village yesterday and the market is about 3 x's the size of Watts. I expect to do a lot better there. The only thing is they asked us not to do chicken since we'll be directly across from the guy whose whole menu consist of something with chicken.

We also ran into one of the fruit vendors from Watts and he told us since he's been there he's sold out every weekend and he's ordering a whole brisket this coming Sunday.
See, your good reputation is going to follow you!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #28
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
Ah, you assumed I was being fascetious. I did say Excellent! That could be taken a few ways. In this case, you were looking for the work and found it. Excellent! as in Fantastic! Fabulous! As in that's a Farmer's Market I might feel comfortable enough to attend without a crew of Brethren surrounding me. Not that I'd be scared by myself in Watts....but my wife wouldn't go with me....yeah, that's it, the wife wouldn't go so I couldn't....
I am sure that Watts is a lot different today compared to when I was there. I was assigned to work there in the early 70's (not sure if you were born yet ). It was not too long after the little incident in 64. The guy I had to replace was murdered on the job in broad daylight. I was reminded that I was NOT welcome in that community by most, not all, people. But that was almost 40 years ago. Different people have different memories of things. P.S. I am almost 6'6" and had the chit scared outta me several times down there!
If you (or Mrs) are serious about growing your business, shoot me a PM. We may be able too work something out!

NUTZ

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #29
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
I am sure that Watts is a lot different today compared to when I was there. I was assigned to work there in the early 70's (not sure if you were born yet ). It was not too long after the little incident in 64. The guy I had to replace was murdered on the job in broad daylight. I was reminded that I was NOT welcome in that community by most, not all, people. But that was almost 40 years ago. Different people have different memories of things. P.S. I am almost 6'6" and had the chit scared outta me several times down there!
If you (or Mrs) are serious about growing your business, shoot me a PM. We may be able too work something out!

NUTZ

NUTZ
People still have old fears from old events that they were never a part of but only heard about and I'm pretty sure a lot not true. I have a cousin that lives not 5 minutes away and she won't even let her daughters come up there to hang out with us. Such is life. Besides if you don't have a deadly weapon, I don't scare easy.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #30
DC-Q
Full Fledged Farker

Great job. What will you have on your menu for these markets?
DC-Q is offline   Reply With Quote