Some rubs I like

sterlingsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
What do ya all think of these rubs everybody?
PictureorVideo279.jpg

Head Country and Bad Byrons are the only two I have tried from what you have pictured. I like the HC on chicken.

I like the Willingham's on chicken. I haven't tried any of the others.

I tried Butt Rub last year, I dont know if it is just me, but seemed to be way to salty for my taste. Head country is real good.

I thought Butt Rub was terrible, i would like to try the bone suckin one as i do like their sauce

I would like to know what awards the Famous Daves has received

Should try some Bill's Season All from San Saba Texas.. good chit on most anything. Before i knew about all these other rubs etc. i used it exclusivly unless i mixed up my own concoction.

Bone Suckin was what really got me started on BBQ. Now I use Wolfe Rub, and Texas BBQ Rub almost exclusively. Tried Bad Byrons and found it WAY too salty. Dave Klose makes a great poultry rub. Woody

I like Willingams, Head Country and Butt Rub. Of course those are hte only ones Ive tried.

I use Butt Rub, although sparingly (my dad is ga-ga over it), but the Rendezvous is right fine. Haven't tried the others.

head countrys one of my favorites, but i cut it pretty hard with brown sugar. SALT-EEE on its own.

Head country is good on chicken,brisket and pork. I never tried the bottled willinghams but I have used his poultry rub recipe on chicken. It's real good. Butt rub is a good finishing rub. Use it like you would use salt and pepper to finish a dish off. Not familiar with the rest.

I have to agree that HC and Byron's are way salty. I have to use them (esp. Byron's) sparingly so as not to be overwhelmed by the salt. That always bugs me when you pay good money for a spice mix and the prime ingredient is salt. I already have that and I didn't pay 6 to 10 bucks for a little shaker of it. I wish they'd lay off it a bit so that the rest of the flavors can come through. Way out of balance if you ask me.
I've never tried any of the others though...

Favorite's are Grub Rub and Blues Hog. My nephew, GatorDawg, brings me rub made at Latham's BBQ in Jackson, TN that is my current favorite for pork. Comes in Ziploc backs for $3.99 a pound.

For making my own, hard to beat Dr. BBQ's books for recipes.

Rubs

I use Head Country but I too have to cut it with some brown sugar, but the rub I use for chicken is Szeged chicken rub it is outstanding for beercan chicken or just oven roasted!!

Here are a few of Famous Dave's awards from there website. Some of the awards are things like "employee of the month", "best use of liquid smoke", "most chewy" and "best smile";

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Best of the West" First Place - 18th Annual Nugget Cookoff - Reno, NV, 2006 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Best in BBQ" City View’s Best of Des Moines, 2006 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Best BBQ" Readers Choice – Central NJ, 2006 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"City’s Best BBQ" Philadelphia City Guide, 2006 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Silver Plate Award" – IFMA, 2006 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Best Ribs" People's Choice Award - Southern Florida Cook-Off 2004 and 2005! [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Best BBQ" Reader's Choice, City Pages - April 27, 2005 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Reader's Choice" Best BBQ Restaurant - NJ Monthly Critics Choice Award; Favorite BBQ - South Bend Tribune; Best of the Best BBQ - Frederick, MD; Favorite BBQ - Kansas City, KS; 2005 Readers Poll - Mpls/St Paul Magazine [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"Best Blues Club" Best of Twin Cities 2005 - City Pages, April 27, 2005 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"People's Choice" Tops Great American Rib Cook Off, Eclipse People's Choice Award - May, 2005 [/FONT]​

sm_award.gif
[FONT=Lucida Sans, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial]"First Place" Celebrity Cook-Off, Southern Florida Championship Cook-Off [/FONT]​

The Woodman said:
Bone Suckin was what really got me started on BBQ. Now I use Wolfe Rub, and Texas BBQ Rub almost exclusively. Tried Bad Byrons and found it WAY too salty. Dave Klose makes a great poultry rub. Woody

Never heard of the Wolfe Rub:biggrin:

Back