Newbie Question-732

Sweet Daddy-D

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First smoke tomorrow. Brand new WSM 18.5. Too new to do any mods yet, where would you guys run the cable for the temp prob? Looks like laying the lid on it may not be good for it. Any suggestions?

Run it through the top vent. If you'd like you can get a grommet kit for it later from Cajun Bandit.

The Guru grommet kit isn't large enough to accept the ET-732 probes because of the way the wires are crimped to the probes. The ET-73 probes fit through.

Make sure the Cajun Bandit one will fit the ET-732.

The Guru grommet kit isn't large enough to accept the ET-732 probes because of the way the wires are crimped to the probes. The ET-73 probes fit through.

Make sure the Cajun Bandit one will fit the ET-732.

Good point. From the Canjun Bandit site "The 1/4" grommets aren't big enough for the probes of the popular Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer. The 3/8" grommets will house 4 - 6 probes."

I've been running the cable under the lid on my WSM since I bought the probe a few years ago. It's still working just fine. As long as you aren't deliberately abusing the cable and bending it 180 degrees or pinching it with a ton of force, it will be fine. Hell, I've left the unit outside overnight in torrential downpours and it keeps on ticking.

IMO, as long as you have a unit that reads fairly accurately, that's all that matters and you don't need to baby it. Granted, there are some mods you can do to fit the probe in other places, but I wouldn't stress out over it.

Back