MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default First G2 Chubby Smoke (Updates Coming)

So after having my G2 Chubby for over a week I'm finally getting around to my first cook. Holidays have kept me busy. Seasoned it last week and I have 2 butts going on today. I'll keep the updates coming as the day continues. Here is what I have so far.

To get an fairly accurate burn rate I measured the charcoal. The tray took 12lbs exactly and I packed it in as much as I could with still leaving room between the tray and heat diverter.

I'm going to start getting my wood in smaller chunks as it is tight between the charcoal and the heat diverter, but I have a lot that is small enough.

This pic actually has the charcoal tray dropped all the way to the bottom so it actually isn't sitting on the rails.

Here is a shot with wood chunks in there to see the clearance. I lit it in the back with 2 weber lighter cubes. Worked well this way the last time I did it when I tested out a party earlier this year.

Injecting the butts. I'm doing these pretty much exactly as I do for competitions with the exception of the temp. Going to run as close to 250 the whole time. The butts are smaller than I wanted at about 8lbs each, but they were the biggest Sams had. Didn't run out to RD this time.

So for a little more info for the initial post......I lit the cubes at 8:45am with both dampers fully open. At 9:25 my maverick alarm beeped at 200 so I could start closing the dampers and closed both to 1/4". By 9:35am it was at 225 and I fully shut the back damper (this is again how I ran the test party). At 9:50am it was at 250 and started to hover right there which is what I want.

More to come.....

Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Dude! What kind of injection attachment needle did you add to that pump spray? I would love to see a picture of that. Or is that made for injections?
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

so when you lit the cubes, you put the pan into the cooker with just the vents open? wondering if Im wasting heat by lighting outside of the cooker
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
Dude! What kind of injection attachment needle did you add to that pump spray? I would love to see a picture of that. Or is that made for injections?
I bought it off ebay actually. Someone modifies a pump sprayer to hold a needle. Works great. Paid like $40 I think.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Jason TQ

Meat went on at 11am. Once in there the temp dropped to 230 so I opened the vents a little and got it back around 250 without issue. So far I really like how easy it seems to be to control the air.

Here is the meat right as it went in.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
so when you lit the cubes, you put the pan into the cooker with just the vents open? wondering if Im wasting heat by lighting outside of the cooker
Yeah I light the cubes and put the pan right back in. The vents are both wide open. Has worked great the 3 or 4 times I have done it (on the party I used earlier this year). I've read a bunch of different ways that people light their backwoods and seems like they all work. This seems the easiest to me right now. Love those weber cubes.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

yeah, I bought a box of the cubes for the first time and Ill admit, Im impressed. so easy too with the pull out ash pan.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Jason TQ

So at 2:45 the back butt was at 165 and the front was at 169. I foiled and back in. So total cook time to here has been 3hr 45mins. Running 240-250 the whole time. So cooking way faster which is what they have done prior too. Nothing wrong with faster .

Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

This may be a stupid question , but what is the difference between the g2 and standard cookers?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
bcaggie07
Got Wood.

The injector looks like a no cents injector. You can google there website and see there different injectors. I purchase one about a year ago and it as made injecting pork butts a lot easier. It is also inexpensive compared to some of the other injectors out there (myron mixon has one, but it is like $175 dollars).

By the way awesome new smoker. I have had my backwoods gator for a year and half and love it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimcoBBQ View Post
This may be a stupid question , but what is the difference between the g2 and standard cookers?
The G2 Chubby and Party models are 6 inches deeper than the standard Chubby and Party. The racks in the G2's are also heavier duty and the fire box setup is a little different. I'm still amazed that Backwoods doesn't have any info on their site about them.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Jason TQ

Ok so they are done and dead at 6hrs. Now the temp did bump up to 270 during the last 1.5hrs. This is because I somehow to forgot to close the firebox door. Saw the temp go up quickly and went outside and the bottom door was wide open . Not a little open like I slammed the door and it just didn't catch all the way on the latch. I'm talking completely forgot to close it . So clearly my G2 is defective and I will immediately recommend to Backwoods they put a complete idiot alarm when you don't do a common sense thing like close the firebox door. Or maybe an auto shut feature. I mean I can't be doing fancy labor intensive things like closing firebox doors after opening them .

Anyways it made for a good laugh, but really didn't affect much other than speed up the cook. Even with that little temp increase it still cooked so much faster overall than any smoker I've used before. I'll have to do some retooling with my competition timelines if the bigger meats cook this fast. Heck I always wanted to sleep all night and not have to start anything till the morning .

So I put the butts in the cambro to rest till 7:30ish when I'll eat. Here is a pick of how much charcoal is left after about 7hrs. I'm going to keep it running 240-250 to see how long it burns. I'll post meat pictures when I eat.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

nice. I did a 10hr dry cook on butts last weekend and still had plenty of coal. infact after I took the butts off and put my guru away, it climbed to 350 and burned for awhile.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Great looking cooker. How many times did ya have to add water ?

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post
Great looking cooker. How many times did ya have to add water ?

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP
I added water once. But I didn't have the heat diverted in most of the cook.