MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Ned help making a St. Louis cut on Spares

Guys,

Need some help.... We're planning on making three racks of spares on Sunday.
We usually use babys so our handling technique is limited on spares...

I've seen pictures of what the St. Louis style looks like and know what it should look like but I still think I'm going to screw it up. In all the books I've read describing the technique, and seeing some diagrams, it never fully explain exactly where to made the cuts. I don't want to end up cutting off too much from the top. I know the skirt meat comes off, but not sure how low to go...(Am I cutting across at a certain spot on the bone starting from the wider end of the rack ? Or am I cutting above bone?)...

If anyone has an easy but slightly detailed way of explaining or can show some up close pics (before and after) , I'd be very appreciative.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Vinny,

No good pics sorry.
The simplest way I know to describe the cut is:
With either side up--trace the main rib bone to it's end with your fingers.
You will feel a soft area that is the start of the grissle area.
Slice down that "soft line" you found.

We have had spares that trimmed out to only 4.5 inches or so--could not tell them from baby backs at first glance without looking at the curve of the bone.

Maybe someone has better advice.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

Here ya go. It's got pictures and everything!

http://bbqinstitute.com/Ribs.htm
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Awesome... Thanks BrooklynQ !!!

That's a lot better description in anything I've read or seen online before.

Since we have a three pack of spares from Costco, hopefully we'll be in decent shape by the trimming of the last rack.

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just don't forget to cook the trimmings!! They are excellent if not pretty!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
BrooklynQ
Banned

What Chad said!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Nice Link!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

First i cut off the flap from the top and then that big wierd shaped end.

Then squeeze up the bone till you find the end. I mark it by sticking the point of the knife in it. Its cartlidge so its easy to push the knife thru it. Do this to every other rib and then just connect the dots(those cuts you made thru the cartlidge). If a knife isnt cutting thru fairly easy, your not in the right spot.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Here ya go. It's got pictures and everything!

http://bbqinstitute.com/Ribs.htm
EXCELLENT link Rob. Next time I get asked how I cook my spare ribs I'll just print off a copy and hand it to them.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I gotta learn to read the rest of the posts before answering.. that link says it all. bookmark that beast.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Here's another link. Very similar but might have that one extra bit of info you'll need sometime.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect2.html
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Thanks for this link as well. The picutes on this one were good due to the close up view of where the cut was being made across the rack.

I finished trimming and dry rubbing them a little while ago. Overall, I think I did them pretty good with the trimming. The cartilage part is what was throwing me off and I was afraid to cut off too much from the top. Right now, they are fairly rectangular and about 5" or so top to bottom. I may just need to take another 1/2" or so off across the rack in the AM before I put on the grates based on what these new pictures are showing.

I gotten so pampered using babybacks for so long that this was a nice challenge.