MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Hot & Fast Brisket

Finally got around to trying the hot & fast method this past weekend. Previous briskets were all done low and slow w/mixed results.

The brisket was 11.5 lbs before trimming. Rubbed a mustard paste then coated with Mad Hunky and Big Rons Hint of Houston. In the fridge to rest over-night.

Got the smoker to 300 and placed the brisket on at 630 am sunday morning. I placed a drip pan under the brisket which contained 1 cup of strong coffee, 1 can of beef broth, 1/8 cup worshy, a couple tablespoons of Big Rons, 1 onion sliced and 4 garlic cloves.

Here's the time line:
730 IT 117*
830 IT 147*
930 IT 168* Foiled with about 1/2 cup of AuJus
1030 IT 193*
1130 IT 204* Pulled and wrapped in towel and into the cooler for a 1.5 hr rest.

Result:
Pros: Very Tender and Juicy. Nice flavor.
Cons: Mushy Bark (expected due to foiling)
Next time will go entire cook w/no foil

Here's a few pictures.
In Cyro.

Early morning drink of choice.

Slathered & Rubbed.

Just out of the cooler.

Beginning to slice.

Po-Boy Sammie (wife forgot the slaw ingredients, so had to settle for mayo and bbq sauce)

Thanks for looking.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Tango Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like a darn tasty sandwich! Gonna have to give that method a try.
Tango Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone else done hat and fast with no foil? I am curious if that still results in a juicy brisket. I have used hot and fast the last couple I've done, and I feel like I'm trading good bark for being done 6-7 hours earlier than low and slow.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

If you take it out of the foil when done and put it back in the smoker for about 30 minutes to an hour, it will firm the bark up. Then take it back out, rewrap in foil and put in cooler. It is more trouble but worth it.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

If I do wrap a hot and fast brisky, I only wrap for a couple of hours around 160 internal, then unwrap until done to let the bark firm up (pretty much what smokeyw does).
I also do unwrapped, using Popdaddy's tri-level method. I like both results, it just depends on my mood. Really the only reason I wrap is that I like to use the de-fatted drippings to brush my slices.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
smokinajs
Knows what a fatty is.

next time.. instead of foiling, place in a pan on a rack and then half foil the pan....

This does two things, lets the juices into the pan for aujus later as well as cuts down on having a mushy bark...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

You know what I LOVE about this thread (so much I won't even write about why and how foil got into the Hot and Fast process in the first place) is that you took the time to do this for us - the thread not the meat LOL - take pictures and tell us about it. I even don't mind the temp list (maybe I am getting old) as I looked at it and kinda analized what was happening when and why....I love this thread and all you are doing for us because this is how we started - theres no good way to say this... but we were a forum where guys whipped out their meat and took pictures and show it to one another and lots of guys were drooling over their fellow brethrens' glistening package and there was nothing strange about it.

This is a good, simple, valuable thread... sure we have seen it a million times but each one is a little different. Your brisket looks FANTASTIC - never give up... You have skills man! I feel like its 2006 all over again (and thats a great thing!)

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinajs View Post
next time.. instead of foiling, place in a pan on a rack and then half foil the pan....

This does two things, lets the juices into the pan for aujus later as well as cuts down on having a mushy bark...
my original plan was to place in a pan with juice and use a wire rack on top of foil boils but i could not find a pan large enough to take the brisket.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
You know what I LOVE about this thread (so much I won't even write about why and how foil got into the Hot and Fast process in the first place) is that you took the time to do this for us - the thread not the meat LOL - take pictures and tell us about it. I even don't mind the temp list (maybe I am getting old) as I looked at it and kinda analized what was happening when and why....I love this thread and all you are doing for us because this is how we started - theres no good way to say this... but we were a forum where guys whipped out their meat and took pictures and show it to one another and lots of guys were drooling over their fellow brethrens' glistening package and there was nothing strange about it.

This is a good, simple, valuable thread... sure we have seen it a million times but each one is a little different. Your brisket looks FANTASTIC - never give up... You have skills man! I feel like its 2006 all over again (and thats a great thing!)
Thanks Bro. I keep trying until I get what I am looking for.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Big Ron
Full Fledged Farker

looks great, nice work. With your permission I will add these photos to my website on the Satisfied Customer page.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE[/url]
Patio Smoker
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7lqPKVzTI[/url]
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

for a sec I thought you were showing the coffee as one of the ingredients! Looks good!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Looks great bro..I have a rouse's brisket goin on tomorrow morning too. Hopefully I will be able to rock some pr0n this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron View Post
looks great, nice work. With your permission I will add these photos to my website on the Satisfied Customer page.
you have permission Big Ron. Great Stuff by the way.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMROCKS View Post
for a sec I thought you were showing the coffee as one of the ingredients! Looks good!
actually, the last brisket I did was rubbed with a coffee based rub that I really liked. Next one will be using Big Rons which I will add coffee powder to it for added flavor.