MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Question about selling/distributing BBQ to the public

Yesterday I was down in Gardner, KS and they were having their annual city-wide garage sale day. People from all over Kansas City make their way down there for the event. One of the first things I noticed was that almost every other house was selling drinks and food. Drinks ranged from bottled water to soda to lemonade and the like. Food was usually hot dogs and burgers but the occasional chili or other homemade item.

So of course this sparks my brain to ask why not set up a smoker and let that beautiful smell roll down the streets and sell simple BBQ like PP sammies and other stuff. Now, shouldn't some sort of vending license be required for this? Obviously there are health and safety concerns but I am looking from just a business point of view. Obviously the "Man" would want his cut as far as taxes correct? What about free mini bbq sammies with a donation jar?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
j20832
On the road to being a farker

I would never serve people other than family and friends unless I had adequate liability insurance. Same reason I don't let my neighbors swim in my pool, people are too sue-happy these days. You don't even have to have served "bad" food, you just have to have served the most memorable thing they ate that day (and you probably would have an excellent chance at that with some good Q).

Anyway, if you really just want to cook and share food, maybe you could hook up with a local charity like Lion's club or Rotary club and sell some food through them since they would likely have all the necessary paperwork in order.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

If you sell food to the public you need to be health department inspected in all States. Otherwise you are breaking the law. As well there are usually state taxes if take out food is taxed in your State and there may be vendors permits required from the town/city/etc.

You may find some exceptions for charity fund raisers to some of the items I mentioned but usually the HD requires something except here in FL and even then it's by county. At Naples they inspected vendors.