MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default BWS Chubby 3: Brother 3-EYZ Rib Cook - FINAL PICS

Hi all,

So it's Sunday, and a pretty big sports day: the NHL All-Star game comes on @ 4 pm EST.

Now, the truth? Normally, I HATE the All-Star game. It disrupts the Red Wing's chemistry (usually, we're leading the league right about now), and it's boring as all get-out. All offence, no defence (excuse my Canadian spellings). BUT, given the rash of injuries we've experienced since mid-December, it's a good thing this year. AND, super D-man and Red Wing captain Nick Lidstron is one of the team captains. So, I decided to cook me some ribs.

Let's rewind to a few months ago. Brother Mister Bob was kind enough to do a charity cook (and his finshed product was amazing), and on one of the images of his meat package was the name: Restaurant Depot. So I did me some detective work, and saw that there was one of em in Alexandria, VA. So, me and the missus took a trip there (it's 40 minutes by the Beltway) and I scored me a heck of a deal:

23 lbs of ribs for $38.00. I hit the jackpot. I did have to cut em down in to St Louis cuts, but using my George Tichbourne knife, it took a little over a half-hour, and it was a heck of a lot of fun. I ended up with 6 or 8 (can't remember) huge slabs of ribs, and enough tips for 3-4 other meals. I cooked 2-4 slabs that day (again, can't remember) and wrapped and froze the rest.

So yesterday, I pulled out a package to defrost, in prep for today's cook.

Trimmed fat, and some silver. Not too much fat, I want em moist

Applied Brother 3-EYZ rub

Having done a very tasty cook of chicken using a very well-crafted rub by brother 3-EYZ, I decided to see what it could do for ribs. So, I applied a generous amount. While it settled in, I prepped for my cook:

Using the Maverick electric charcoal starter

This was a good opportunity to try out my new electric charcoal starter. Brother Steve @ 5-0 had it on sale for $16.99 (again, from memory), and I thought, what the heck, I'll try it.

Now, one of our brothers asked me to post my opinion on it, and here it is: it works WONDERFULLY! In less than 10 minutes, I had the charcoal going. I highly recommend it!

As an aside, after removing ther starter from the coals, I realized that a small addition was necessary: a hook that I can hang it on to allow it to safely cool. Keep this in mind if you buy one.

So, on to the next phase: lining the cooker:

I highly recommend foiling the drip tray, and placing an aluminum pan on top, to catch the drippings. It makes cleanup that much easier, and allows a efficient way to catch and remove the drippings for later use, if you're so inclined.

So, after installing the water (pre-heated, as brother Jestridge wisely advised), foiling and adding the drip tray, pan, and diffuser, I oiled the grates, installed the temp clip to my NanoQ, and waited for the Chubby to come to temp.

Afte coming to temp, I added my ribs. Gonna do a classic: 3-2-1 (pics to follow).

Gotta say, as I oiled the grates, I thought about a tv show I saw a while ago: and episode of Primal Grill. In that episode, Steve Raichlen talked about the origins of BBQ. And, he was mostly right: history records that Barbecoa was first noted as being done by native indian tribes in South America. But in truth, BBQ was first developed in Detroit, and as the natives watched their tribesman set up his pit, someone asked him this:

1st native: "You invent BBQ. How you know this?"

2nd native: "Me-um learned it in Detroit"

Of course, Detroit continued to lead. Henry Ford (a Detroiter) invented charcoal. Being born & raised in HockeyTown, I'm quite proud of our BBQ heritage.

So, got the ribs on @ 12:30. At 3:30, I'll foil, and proceed to the next phase.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

Cool man lookin real good!!
Will be watchin!
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

UPDATE: Just looked at the Chubby, and the temp is rock-solid. Gotta say, the NanoQ is worth every penny, and minion cooking is okay. I'm a convert.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking good, bro!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Looking good, bro!
Done & resting, and the other dishes are done too:

Should be good. Got homemade coleslaw, homemade garlic mased potatoes, and ribs.

And wouldn't you know it, the wife was called by a client with an emegency, and in fact, has to travel tomorrow for them.

Hope to get to take some pics, and EAT soon... I'm starving!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Boshizzle

Stinkin' clients! I know how that can be. I just had the week from hell over it.

But, the Que is looking good though. I am getting hungry looking at the pics!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
btcg
Babbling Farker

So, she finally got done. Here's the finish:

Note: no sauce on these. The one on the bottom right is what I call my "North American" cut. Looks like the continent... complete with Florida on the bottom right.

Of course, the wife had to improve my cole slaw. She added some dried cranberries. Must admit, they did make the slaw better.

SECONDS:

No sauce. Below, I slather some Blues Hog on em:

Now, here's my take on brother 3-EYZ's rub: FANTASTIC on ribs, too. It's got a great "bite" to it. In fact, Blues Hog (a slightly sweeter sauce) is amazing with 3-EYZ's rub. A 3 star combo!!!

Oh, and the Chubby: a joy to use. The large water tray gave the ribs some real moistness.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
landarc

You are gonna wear that Chubby out. Great looking meats and dinner.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Oh golly, that does look good!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Boshizzle

Looking good from here!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
jestridge

Nice looking ribs BTW I figure one of those cooker would have an outside drain
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

That little BW Chubby is producing a big bang for yah, Aaa… Please tell more about the slaw please… It has struck an interest in me.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
That little BW Chubby is producing a big bang for yah, Aaa… Please tell more about the slaw please… It has struck an interest in me.
The slaw was made from a head of cabbage I chopped, the carrots were pre-cut from Whole Foods (makes life easier). Some mayo, lemon juice, horseradish, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, salt (don't tell the wife), and pepper, and a dash of olive oil. Let it rest to set the flavors.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You are gonna wear that Chubby out. Great looking meats and dinner.
Only here does that not sound WRONG

Those ribs look great and I like your wifes Idea adding cranberries to the slaw

Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
The slaw was made from a head of cabbage I chopped, the carrots were pre-cut from Whole Foods (makes life easier). Some mayo, lemon juice, horseradish, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, salt (don't tell the wife), and pepper, and a dash of olive oil. Let it rest to set the flavors.
Huh... horseradish

sounds good

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote