MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Default A Serious Competition Question

I may still be relatively new to all of this, but in my time here I have noticed a fairly gaping divide between pellet smokers (Pellet Heads) and the wood/charcoal smokers (stick/twig burners) crowd.

My question is this:

Is there really that much of a conflict? I know everyone has their preferences, but, it seems that there are a few Pellet Heads that are totally committed to them, and vice versa...

I really hope this doesn't open any old wounds or cause any strife...

Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Not from me. I could care less what anyone else uses. More power to them.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
CaptTable
Full Fledged Farker

Good for you, Dale. I wish all cooks felt that way and I do believe that most do.

Hope all is going well with the crew! We miss you guys.

Phillip
CaptTable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

Actually, I applaud the use of different smokers, rubs, sauces, injections, fuels, etc, etc. If everone used the same equipment then it would get REALLY boring.

I love my WSMs but I would really like to try a Stumps or an FEC. I've even thought about building a UDS just for the fun of it. To each his/her own!!

Russ
rksylves is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

next year will be my first comp. and i have a big stick burner. i like the idea of different kinds of cookers so things will be more interesting. just my thoughts
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmaster View Post
I may still be relatively new to all of this, but in my time here I have noticed a fairly gaping divide between pellet smokers (Pellet Heads) and the wood/charcoal smokers (stick/twig burners) crowd.

My question is this:

Is there really that much of a conflict? I know everyone has their preferences, but, it seems that there are a few Pellet Heads that are totally committed to them, and vice versa...

I really hope this doesn't open any old wounds or cause any strife...
Most all you hear on this Board is good natured kidding. A few stick burners think that's all that should be allowed but in the end that would eliminate most teams, after charcoal is not a stick.

Most of what you read is more like "My Ford truck is better than your Chevy". Or in Nascar Chevy rules. All just fun.

But for the record it is nice to see all the pellet teams doing so good.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Muddy River Boy
Knows what a fatty is.

For me it doesn't really matter what someone else is using to cook on. I have always cooked on a stickburner and that is what I know. Are there advantages to using a pellet cooker? Absolutely. Does it make it that much sweeter when you finish ahead of a pellet cooker. HELL YES. I feel like I am controlling Mother Nature and not a thermostat and electricity. Does that mean that I will never have a pellet cooker? No, it just means that I have not bought one yet For now I will just keep cooking on my archaic stick burner and Razz the heck out of Pellet Heads.

Next thing you know I will razz my buddy for driving a FORD, because everyone knows that CHEVY's RULE!!!!!!

Just my $.02 worth.

Clint

Old 11-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I wish that pellet cookers and other electronic assist devices were not allowed. I really do. BUT, they are allowed, so bring 'em on, no conflict between cooks.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

Yea...I'm with most people. Don't really care what everyone else is using. We enjoy cooking on the Lang and feel it would be odd to get some sleep on Friday night. For us, keeping the Lang "happy"" all night is not work but FUN. If we were to get another cooker that was easier to maintain temp, we would not cook. Just my $.02.

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

i am staying neutral using a wsm controlled by a stoker using bbqqrs delight smoke stix
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
i am staying neutral using a wsm controlled by a stoker using bbqqrs delight smoke stix
You're not neutral, you're just trying to offend everybody!
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If this is a double post please delete one.

I dont care what people use. If you dont know how to cook bbq it doesn't matter. Teams like Pellet Envy and Smokey D's show they can cook with or without pellets and win.

I have a pellet cooker I use for contest and love it. But on the same note, I have multiple big green eggs at home and can control them without temp devices. After hauling two large eggs and an x large around it was just not practical, so I went with the pellet. In my opinion, the pellet cookers are no different then someone using a stoker or a guru on a different smoker. They are doing the same thing.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I've always been partial to wood in my stick burner, and to lump in my kettle, but it is the way i do it.
The way others do it is different, and like the rest have said - more power to them.

I would still like to reserve the right to give pellet heads a hard time though

Oh and for the record - FORD rules!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

its not the cooker its the cook. I cook on 2 meadowcreek pr42 pig roasters. I can control them with out any assist. heck I have even gotten a call or 2. The pellet cookers are super easy to use, but so are most of the cookers if you take some time to get to know them.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy River Boy View Post
For me it doesn't really matter what someone else is using to cook on. I have always cooked on a stickburner and that is what I know. Are there advantages to using a pellet cooker? Absolutely. Does it make it that much sweeter when you finish ahead of a pellet cooker. HELL YES. I feel like I am controlling Mother Nature and not a thermostat and electricity. Does that mean that I will never have a pellet cooker? No, it just means that I have not bought one yet For now I will just keep cooking on my archaic stick burner and Razz the heck out of Pellet Heads.

Next thing you know I will razz my buddy for driving a FORD, because everyone knows that CHEVY's RULE!!!!!!

Just my $.02 worth.

Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is It Ready Yet? View Post
Yea...I'm with most people. Don't really care what everyone else is using. We enjoy cooking on the Lang and feel it would be odd to get some sleep on Friday night. For us, keeping the Lang "happy"" all night is not work but FUN. If we were to get another cooker that was easier to maintain temp, we would not cook. Just my $.02.
I agree... I don't care what they cook on, I enjoy cooking on my Lang (she didn't get called the 'Mistress' cause I ignore her!). And yes, I really do enjoy scoring better than the pellet heads, but in the end, we are all still friends... Well mostly... Execpt for Sled....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
You're not neutral, you're just trying to offend everybody!
That's just the way he rolls... lol
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote