"Dirty Grilled Acorn Squash

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
http://thebbqgrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Acorn3.jpgFor as long as I can remember I have had an aversion to squash. Growing up we didn’t eat it at all and then once I left home my only exposure to squash was in the Army mess hall where zucchini was steamed/boiled to something that resembled green mush with seeds. (I had a more vivid example but since it dealt with baby diapers I decided to leave it out)
I did learn to love zucchini bread and I could power down a plate of of breaded and fried zucchini when it was available. But eating squash on a dinner plate just didn’t happen much.

Over the years, with my wife’s help, I have learned to cook and eat a variety of squashes. You know the “soft” or summer squashes. But the rock hard winter squash just wasn’t something I was willing to try. Last night I may have changed my squash eating habits for good with some grilled acorn squash.

Give yourself yourself plenty of time to cook acorn squash, at least an hour of actual time on the grill.

Cut your acorn squash in half and remove the seeds and pulp

Brush the squash with mixture. Set your grill up for "indirect" heat with about 3/4 of a chimney of lit charcoal. I used my 22.5 inch Weber Kettle for this recipe. If using a gas grill make sure you can set up your grill for indirect cooking. Most gas grills today allow you turn onside off while have the other side still lit.

30 minutes (about half way) I brushed on another coating of the mixture and sprinkled some additional "Todd's Dirt" on the squash.

Brush the squash with mixture. Set your grill up for "indirect" heat with about 3/4 of a chimney of lit charcoal. I used my 22.5 inch Weber Kettle for this recipe. If using a gas grill make sure you can set up your grill for indirect cooking. Most gas grills today allow you turn onside off while have the other side still lit.

30 minutes (about half way) I brushed on another coating of the mixture and sprinkled some additional "Todd's Dirt" on the squash.

Sprinkle the Asiago Cheese over the squash. The asiago cheese will compliment the nutty flavor of the acorn squash and give it a nice little crunch as it browns.

Continue to grill the acorn squash until it's done. It's done when a knife or fork can easily be inserted into the flesh of the squash.

Recipe available here...http://thebbqgrail.com/2009/10/26/dirty-grilled-acorn-squash/

Very nice, I eat all types of squash as permitted. Never have tried the acorn variety.
Thanks for the info and pics.

Looks very tasty Larry!
Maybe Pianoguy's idea isn't so bad if you want to make a sweet version....add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg,did that on my pears for desert yesterday.
.....and chocolate.:-D

My wife will love this recipe since she likes acorn squash. I might even give it a try. :biggrin:

Squash rocks! I need to eat more of it actually. Funny how I like it, but don't cook it all that much. Probably because I'm the only one in the house that eats it!:biggrin:

Looks great! Someone just gave me a couple of those - gonna have to cook them on the Egg!

'Tis the squash season. Thanks for the link. Lookin' good.

I have done something like that What is your mixture. If I remember I used maple syrup. I used the same cheese. Sounds ;like we used the same recipe. I have not done it in a few years. It was very good

I have done something like that What is your mixture. If I remember I used maple syrup. I used the same cheese. Sounds ;like we used the same recipe. I have not done it in a few years. It was very good

The link at the end of the post will get you the recipe.

Ooo, the squash looks good, I like the butter/brown sugar combo, will have to try this.

Back