MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
PorkDork
On the road to being a farker

Man there's so much conflicting information! I just got off the phone with all the auto/body/paint/sandblasting shops in town and the cheapest one was a minimum of $50 if it only takes 30 minutes.

I was hoping to get this thing done on the cheap, but I fear it's going to be costing me a WSM by the time I'm done.
PorkDork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
PorkDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltrider99 View Post
I used a can of non-toxic citrus paint stripper that I got at Wal-Mart. It worked amazingly well. Sprayed it on, let it sit for an hour or so and then wiped it off (and off came all the lining). I wish I would have tried that on the drum itself....might have saved me a lot of the fun of climbing inside the barrel with the angle grinder.
So did you use this stripper on the INSIDE or the OUTSIDE. If the inside, was it the red liner??

Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
feltrider99

I only used it on the lid and the bottom of the barrel, but it was the dreaded red liner and it worked pretty well. (My drum contained Acai Berry Concentrate) On the can of stripper it said that it works better in warmer temperatures, so being that it was out in my garage and it was cold I stuck my shop light inside the barrel for a bit to warm the inside up before applying.

If and when I do this again I will most likely get a quart of the heavy duty paint remover and use that on the whole barrel. Grinding it out with the angle grinder was a pain in the a$$!
feltrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
feltrider99

Also, I have never painted the outside of my drum. It is the same ugly blue paint with the stenciled label saying Acai berry concentrate from Brazil on the outside.
feltrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #20
PorkDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltrider99 View Post
I only used it on the lid and the bottom of the barrel, but it was the dreaded red liner and it worked pretty well. (My drum contained Acai Berry Concentrate) On the can of stripper it said that it works better in warmer temperatures, so being that it was out in my garage and it was cold I stuck my shop light inside the barrel for a bit to warm the inside up before applying.
Alright man, it's on you! I got some heavy duty non-toxic stripper from walmart. Says it works on everything including epoxy. Slathered it on there pretty thick, says it works anywhere from 30min to 24 hours. I'll let you all know how it works. Here's what the stuff looks like.

Fingers crossed...

Old 05-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
Thirsty4Q
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkDork View Post
I'll let you all know how it works.

Fingers crossed...
Anxiously awaiting these results! Last thing I need to do before my UDS is up and running. Planned on taking an orbital with 40 grit to the lid tonight.

My fingers are crossed with you!
Thirsty4Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
PorkDork

I just noticed it says "safer" haha!

"It will still kill ya dead, but it's SAFER than rat poison!"

Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #23
PorkDork

I tried a wire wheel and a drill and it took me a good 2 hours to do about 1/8 of the barrel... I REALLY hope this works.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
PorkDork

UPDATE: The stripper has been at it for about 20 hours now and if anything, it HELPS remove a couple layers of the red epoxy, but there is still a TON of labor still to clean it off, then wire wheel it off. I can say that it is deffinetely easieer to wire wheel the epoxy off after the stripper, but I'm going to have to say Citristrip is busted. No dice, unfortunately.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
citristrip, cleaner, liner, Oven, oven cleaner, stripper, uds