MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
DJnKY
On the road to being a farker

Made some with extract and yeast. Not so hot. Never tried with real spices, but I believe it will be on my to do list. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Gulf

Default Root beer

All we had access to was the sassafras root. (gathered only in the winter, don't know why) Boiled down, with sugar added, it makes a great drink. We called it sassafras tea. Until this thread, I thought that sasparilla was just another name for it.
Gulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbbq View Post
Boil 1 1/2 cups water, pour over 3/4 cups chopped raisins.

In a brew pot (cleaned and sanitized large kettle), bring 1 gallon of water to about 200 degrees...just below boiling. Add 3/4 ounce sassafras root, 3/4 ounce sasparilla root, and 3/8 ounce winter green. Add 1/2 chopped up vanilla bean, and 7 1/2 cups sugar. Simmer for 40 minutes stirring here and there, then dump "raisin water" into brew pot.
Strain water through colander, then strain through cheese cloth to get out remaining roots.
Let rest, covered for about 30 minutes, then "can" the extract in 1 quart jars (5).

To make 1 gallon of root beer, combine 1 q extract with 3 q soda (carbonated) water, warm to combine, chill to serve.

Sent from my iPh

Thanks for sharing, it's on my to do list.....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

I have been wanting to find a recipe for homemade root beer that does not include yeast for a while now. Thank you so much. Where did you buy your sassafras and sasasparilla roots?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
funman1

Yes that's my question, where did you get these items?
A look online is not turning up very good results.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Local spice store in Chicago special ordered them for me....I also found sassafras and sasparilla on amazon

Sent from my iPh

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another reason this place is so cool! Thanks for the info!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #23
jiveturkey1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Local spice store in Chicago special ordered them for me....I also found sassafras and sasparilla on amazon

Sent from my iPh
Is this the really cool spice store in Old Town Chicago, or another one?
jiveturkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonewagon View Post
That's awesome. I'd love to give this a go.
I'm with b w on this one. I'd love to try that, looks great!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
Fishhook
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

but it's still illegal to brew root beer with sassafras...however, it's not illegal to buy it (further shows the study was a croc)

I'm going to keg it, and serve it my restaurant - i
I'd think long and hard before doing this...and maybe with a few lawyers in the room to help. If it's illegal to make, I'd bet it's still illegal to sell. Otherwise all those other root beer companies would still be in business brewing somewhere else to sell here. If it is illegal and someone gets sick for ANY reason...maybe they ate something bad before even coming into your restaurant. You will lose in court...it's a no brainer (it doesn't make it any more right, but the law is the law) I wouldn't do it for anything (serving it to someone else)

We have sassafras growing all over our property...and yep I still enjoy sassafras tea, and so do my friends...but they serve themselves. A bit of moronic reasoning going on there but it's the best this moron could come up with...some lawyer will probably have me for breakfast some day, but I didn't serve it to my friends or anyone else.

As an aside, sassafras is a great smoke wood for things like ham, ribs etc...a bit sweet, with a licoricy (sp?)finish.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Is this the really cool spice store in Old Town Chicago, or another one?
Pinch Spice Market 1913 N Milwaukee Ave Chicago, IL

Quote:
I'd think long and hard before doing this...and maybe with a few lawyers in the room to help.
maybe I'll make people sign waivers before they drink it

I appreciate, and understand, your concern - but sassafras will never make anyone sick. If there were real health concerns - it wouldn't be legal to purchase. This is an example of a law that is on the books from years ago, from a study funded by lobbyist to support one business over another.

For the record, we'll just brew it without sassafras so it's legal

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

Most people have never had REAL root beer, as the FDA outlawed brewing of root beer with its primary ingredient - sassafras - in 1960.

Story goes: during prohibition, many beer companies started making adult sodas and "root/herb" beers that didn't have alcohol, as brewing alcoholic beverages was illegal. Root Beer became very popular, as it was distinctively different from brand to brand, using fresh barks, spices, herbs, and other unique ingredients that made it very different from colas. After prohibition, many beer companies continued brewing the popular beverage; Root beer became very popular from the 30's-50's. It was so popular, it started taking major market share away from the larger Cola Companies. So, rather than playing fair, the larger (coca) Cola companies "lobbied" (aka bribed) the FDA to do a study on sassafras, the main ingredient in root beer. They fed a sh*t ton of the stuff to rats, and some of them got sick. The toxicity level in the rats was equivalent to a human drinking 7 gallons of root beer every day for 5 years, but they used the manipulated data to outlaw brewing with sassafras, and many root beer companies shut down. Coca Cola wins..

I looked up sassafras and sure ennough it is listed by the FDA and a known carcinogen. I couldn't find anything definitive one way or another if it is actually dangerous. from what I read it did not seem to me to be all that dangerous. If I make it and my wife finds out I am using a "banned" substance it will cause problems. what is the source of your info on sassafras?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #28
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
what is the source of your info on sassafras?
Disclaimer: I am not encouraging you to make sassafras root beer, if you think it's dangerous.....

To be clear: The FDA lists a lot of things as having potential carcinogens, including regular beer and smoked meats. Both of these items (Beer and BBQ) are listed as being far more dangerous (than sassafras) by the FDA.

here's a link to a food discussion about sassafras on a root beer forum I am a member of:

http://www.root-beer.org/modules.php...iewtopic&t=562

Sassafras has never caused a single case of cancer in a human being.

So, is it dangerous? No.

Is it advised against (along with drinking alcohol, eating smoked meats, and a number of other common activities) by the FDA? Yes

I guess I like livin' on the edge

Thanks from: --->