10 Pound Pork Loin -- Need Recommendations

slice in about 1-1.5" pieces and wrap with bacon you get "fillet of pig" or cut pockets in the chop for stuffed poke chops. marinate in mojo & roast slice thin for cuban samiches. Smoke it slice thin and into a pan of mushroom gravy serve piled high on texas toast for hay stack samiches wif mashed tatoes.

Where are you getting your meat, Neighbor?

JP

Well....you know where the higher end stuff is. HOWEVER, Most of my goodies come from Sam's in Asheville(that's where those prices came from). But BE SURE to stop by the new Harris Teeter on Merrimon Ave even their frozen section is worth a look....and trader joe's right beside it.

Now there's another higher end butcher on Charlotte St in Asheville called the chop shop(not to be confused with the chop house nearby). They have some seriously tasty meats there, but they really like you wallet. I suggest if you're buying from them to only purchase what Casey and the gang in Blk mountain don't carry such as duck confit and the like.

A 10lb loin? Jeez that was one big pig!

Only if it was a tenderloin ;)

That could be why I was thinking it was a bit big... :doh:

Fwiw, the pork loins that you normally find in a grocery are really 1/2 loins.

PorkLoinWrapped-743386.jpg

Here's a pic of a packaged whole pork loin like OP is talking about.

2009-11-14001.jpg

Basically, a entire pork loin is the "ribeye" loin as well as the "strip" loin and ends with a sirloin.

Must be an optical illusion, because that first picture looks a whole lot larger than the second one... :mrgreen:

(Sorry, I'm kidding. Tired. Should go to sleep...)

I think in one of your earlier posts you mentioned "The Joy of Cooking". They have an apple and onion stuffing recipe in there. This is what I use to stuff my pork loins when I make them.

Corn it with ruhlman's recipe then finish like pastrami with a crust of pepper and corriander on the smoker to an internal of 165. Porkstrami!

Corn it with ruhlman's recipe then finish like pastrami with a crust of pepper and corriander on the smoker to an internal of 165. Porkstrami!

Trying to imagine what porkstrami tastes like. I make my own homemade beef pastrami which is delicious.

Trying to imagine what porkstrami tastes like. I make my own homemade beef pastrami which is delicious.

I've done porkstrami before and it is wonderful. Think the texture of ham but full pastrami flavor. I like it as it is leaner than beef. Give it a try!

I slice thin pieces, about 1/2" thick, pound them flat, bread them with panko and deep fry them. They go great with a mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.

WINNER! I know this is a BBQ forum but sheesh, schnitzel is the super ultra bomb diggety! Schnitzel sandwiches, oh my, hot crispy juicy pork against cold lettuce and tomato and house made half sour pickles in good bread.... I'm getting light headed.

Because I desperately need to lose weight, I even like to pound the slices to 1/4" and throw them on the griddle for just a minute or two, simply seasoned and it seems to be better than just boneless loin chops grilled.

I vote for the Schnitzel sandwiches,5 oz loin tenderized dipped in egg wash to first allow a flour coat followed by a second dip in cracker crumbs.Freeze overnight, makes for nice flat patty to deep fry.Enjoy with some fresh cut fries.:clap2:

You could also cut at 1/4", pound flat, dip in eggwash and coat with Italian breadcrumbs to make a mock Veal Parmigiana. Yeah, I know that pork isn't veal, but you won't believe how close it tastes. :)

I like the porkstrami Idea, but I'd only cook it to 140 like any other pork loin. I've been making some killer canadian bacon like this.

You could also cut at 1/4", pound flat, dip in eggwash and coat with Italian breadcrumbs to make a mock Veal Parmigiana. Yeah, I know that pork isn't veal, but you won't believe how close it tastes. :)
I do that all of the time, I Love it. Better than Chicken Parmigiana.

I stuffed one with fresh spinach, cooked/chopped bacon and provolone last weekend, came out really well. Used my regular pork rub and smoked at 275 until I got an internal temp of 145.

So it was time to do something with this pork loin that's been sitting in the fridge. I got so many wonderful ideas on how to cook it up--thank you so much everyone. (I am going to try all of them eventually.)

I was short on time today so I picked the things I could do in short order.

First I cut up the loin as instructed by danno79.. learned from danno79 the smaller end of the loin is called a ribeye and learned yesterday from cowgirl that the larger end is called the sirloin. (And the middle is the center cut)

So from left to right (sirloin, center cut, ribeye) :

fn7mdy.jpg

For the sirloin end I decided to try the "porkstrami" as suggested by sbramm. I am curing it and spicing it up the same as I do regular beef pastrami (3 parts coriander seed, 2 parts black pepper, 1 part garlic powder).

For the center cut I am making Canadian Bacon.

And lastly, for the ribeye, I am slicing it up.

macq9w.jpg

I am doing as landarc suggested and sliced 1/2" thick chops and pounding them flat with a mallet. Tonight it was chicken fried pork--i.e. I fried it up like I do my grandmother's chicken: dredge in flour and put in the hot grease--salt & pepper in the pan while cooking.

2ibckk6.jpg

98bqrr.jpg

It turned out delicious:

fc87k6.jpg

I'll try the panko and deep frying tomorrow, as well as Keith's pit fried chicken approach. I'll also try the Italian version mentioned here.

I also have a few thicker cut chops to try some other things tomorrow mentioned in this thread.

Looks good. I am doing smoker fried chops tomorrow.

I used coconut oil last time. Might try corn meal this time.

Try tenderizing 1/2" chops then dredge in seasoned flour ( like your chicken fried version ) then egg and milk then cracker crumb, then fry. MMMMMMMMMM Gooodd.

Back