Favorite sides

Pulled Pork requires cole slaw. I'm a creamy guy. I think cold potato salad is over-rated, but a warm potato salad with bacon is perfect with Brisket. Baked beans in the cast iron dutch oven is popular with any of the above.

a big pile of slaw as long as its got green apples and grainy mustard

Corn on the cob cooked in the husk s&p and buddah, Macaroni salad that someone else makes because mine always tastes like chit!

I make a lot of bread because I freaking love making bread. So bread is on the side unless it's going to be a sandwich. I love potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans in different varieties, and I've been growing very fond of grilled avocado since Deepsouth introduced me to it in one of his posts.

I'm also a salad lover. Homemade vinaigrette over some romaine lettuce, sweet onions, grape tomatoes, homemade croutons, baby spinach, and shredded carrots is always a must, and then I'll add cucumber if I have any around, or green beans.

We freeze and can cream style corn and beans from the garden so those are top 2. Long grain wild rice alone or topped with steamed vegetables. Cauliflower with white sauce. Acorn squash with butter and brown sugar. Lets see how many potato dishes, baked, mashed, garlic mashed, salad'd, twice baked, French fried, scalloped. Asparagus, grilled, smoked or steamed. Rolls from scratch of course. Sweet pepper salad. That's the less exotic list.

For brisket: Potato salad and beans (either charro or baked)

Ribs: Creamy cole slaw and garlic bread

Pulled pork: Vinegar cole slaw and fries

Chicken: Rice dressing and mac n cheese

smashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, slaw and dill beans to mention a few.

Potato salad and cole slaw for me.

I like Potato Salad, Baked Beans, and Cole Slaw, with all things BBQ.
I also like to grill fresh Pineapple as an additional side with Pork.
I like to grill Asparagus and drizzle a white cheese sauce, to go with Chops.

Sometimes it's great to have plain ole 'White Bread' with your BBQ.
(Dream Land style)

Fried Mexican Corn is pretty good with Pulled Pork.

My problem is that I like it all.

OOOhhhhhh yes....CORN.... grilled fresh sweet corn. Can't hardly beat it for a BBQ side. PLUS...since it's messy finger food, it's a perfect match!

Grab the napkins!

I won't make pulled pork anymore without Guerry's slaw, that I usually put carrots in. :grin:

Mac n Cheese, Asparagus, Methodist Potatoes are a few favs.

Dr. BBQ's Bonesmokers Cornbread Casserole is the bomb. I add a handful of cheddar to the recipe. Cook it in a hot cast iron pan if you can.

Bonesmokers Cornbread Casserole - 1 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cans creamed corn
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, add the butter, milk and eggs. Mix well. Add the corn and mix well. Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 6 servings

Recipe taken from here. Thanks Ray. :thumb:

Side note: Love this thread, but it need more recipes for sure.

Back