MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Default Is Brown Kraft Paper OK For Brisket?

Found a small roll of butcher paper @ Hobby Lobby but its coated on one side. Really don't have a need for a huge roll of Sam's butcher paper but don't want to screw up the investment of $$$ and time.

Thanks!
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You don't want a coated paper.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
You don't want a coated paper.
Bludawg,

Is plain brown kraft paper ok?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

In a pinch.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
landarc

If it was me, I would smell it. Personally, I don't like the brown paper, it smells bad to me, worse once it gets wet.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
utahusker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104timberwolf View Post
Found a small roll of butcher paper @ Hobby Lobby but its coated on one side. Really don't have a need for a huge roll of Sam's butcher paper but don't want to screw up the investment of $$$ and time.

Thanks!
Like BD stated, you don't want coated.

I don't have a Sam's in my town, so I asked a friend to buy me a roll in Vegas if he was going past Sams. He texted me that he bought a couple for me. I didn't read it until later that day and about shyte myself. I told him I appreciated him getting it for me, and if he was close by Sam's again he could return one.

He let me know he was joking...funny guy
utahusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104timberwolf View Post
Bludawg,

Is plain brown kraft paper ok?
I don't see why not I have use Brn paper grocery sack in a pinch that I cut open to make a sheet, but I aint all that Anal about food safe FDA Bull crap either however my hair has turned green and my teeth fell out so....

Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I don't see why not I have use Brn paper grocery sack in a pinch that I cut open to make a sheet, but I aint all that Anal about food safe FDA Bull crap either however my hair has turned green and my teeth fell out so....
no but your ears are getting quite long

you are starting to look like my Blue Tick

;)
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Allnight03
On the road to being a farker

Kraft is fine if not coated. Most coatings are wax or poly and occasionally aqueous. While okay to store food in these coatings, I wouldn't experiement with cooking.

Brown paper that smalls funky when wet probably came from a recycle mill and is made of post consumer waste (the old corrugated containers you see bundled together behind wal mart). These are mostly FDA approved, but it's a different FDA rating than that given to virgin fiber. The furnish at some recycle mills is pretty suspect and I would't use it. If you see a lot of black and white specks in the sheet, it is probably recycled board.
Allnight03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

I purchased brown (food grade) craft paper from amazon.
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I tore a piece off the roll and chewed on it a while. No unpleasant taste or odor. Going to taste even better soaked in brisket fat!