MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Spanx
Got Wood.

Default practice for second IBCA comp with questions

In our first IBCA comp we didn't get a call at all so I went and judged one to see what people were turning in. I noticed that most of the turn ins had alot more smoke flavor than we ussually have, so I plan on adding a good bit more smoke to everything. All I have right now is peach wood, should I run to Academy and get some other type of wood ( they have mesquite, hickory, and pecan in logs and also some apple in chunks)?

I do have alot of peach wood though.

Categories are 1/2 Chicken, Pork Spare ribs, and Brisket, I'm only doing a brisket flat, should this be OK. I also plan on injecting the chicken and brisket, does anyone have any good injections for either of these? I have a good injection recipe for the brisket that I got from JOS cooking school but he doesn't inject the chicken he just basically brines it, can I inject a brine? All of this chicken, spare rib, and brisket cooking is new to me this will be only our second comp outside of MBN where we use BBs. This will only the third time I have cooked Spares or half chickens, and sixth time for brisket. As for the ribs I think I am going to go with Sweet Baby Ray's to finish them off, any opinions on that?

We will be cooking everything on the big comp pit, using only one side of course.

I noticed at the last IBCA comp we cooked and also at the one I judged most people were cooking chicken on some pits I believe were called Smokey Joe's or something like that. They were all using basically a direct heat method. I had planned on smoking the chicken on the comp pit then using a pan to get the bite through skin then finishing it off on my Weber that I bought just for IBCA comps, or should I just do it like all the rest of the people and just grill it direct on the Weber?

Thanks in advance for all of the responses to this post. We came off a big win in MBN as the Bourbon Babyback Q'ers, and ever since we changed the name have only won a first place ribs at a non santioned rib cook-off. I'm learning slowly about this IBCA stuff and maybe after a few more I can start placing in a few, guess I just have to learn what to cook in each diffrent santioning body. Luckily our local MBN comp will be back in February and we hope to do well there again.
Spanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

There is no right or wrong way to do anything you are suggesting. My only suggestion would be to either make your own sauce or adjust the flavor of the Sweet Baby Rays so the judges won't think you got lazy on the sauce. Peachwood is fine. As for chicken I dunno, I only brine, never injected. Good luck!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Remember the judging is done by people off the street and it is subjective to the local flavors. Stop by the Kroger or Tom Thumb and look at the sauces available. Adding a bit of bite to it will sometimes help. Over cooking of ribs (Tony Roma) and brisket is almost a requirement!

I cook on an FEC100 and the chicken comes out good. Can't say the same for the other meats as I've never placed.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
chromesporty
is one Smokin' Farker

The thing to remember in IBCA is the judges do not get to handle the food. They cut their samples using a plastic knife and fork. I smoke my chicken on a WSM for 2-2 1/2 hours, some cook it on a grill in 45 minutes. It's whatever works for you.

We use both pecan and hickory from Academy.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Battle tested WSM - R2D2
chromesporty is offline   Reply With Quote