MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Default MY UDS Build

I know there are hundreds of UDS build threads on here but I am going to add one more. I would like to use this for me to track everything I do and also for any questions I have. To start things off I have some questions for all the folks here.

1) I am considering making it so that my fire basket would sit on the bottom like all the others, but I am also considering making a way to make it hang. That way I could raise the basket up much closer to the grate for high heat cooking. I am thinking about using 4 small chains and s-hooks and just attach the s hooks to the bolts used to hold the cooking grate and also to the expanded steel. Then depending on how close I want it I could just use a different number of links of the chain. Anyone see any problems with this?

2) I am going to be extending the draft pipe vertical to make it easier to adjust like some people on here have. My question though is, would it cause and problem is I had a "U" at the top so the opening pointed down?

3) What are people finding as the best diameter for their ash pan and coal basket to be able to easily pull it out of the cooker but still hold enough?

I should be getting my barrel next week so pictures will be sure to follow after that.
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

I like having my air intakes looking up at me so I can see what I am doing easier.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team

Last edited by Cliff H.; 03-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: sp
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

What would you be wanting to see? Do you look down the intake pipe? I am thinking about having it come up vertical like most but at the top having a 90 degree to make it horizontal, then the ball valve, then another 90 to just point the opening down. This would keep the valve up high and easier to use but make it so rain or other stuff wouldn't fall in.

I guess I just don't understand what you would need to look at.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I made my basket so I can mount it up under the top grate. First, I used U-bolts for holding the grates. I added 3 brackets to the basket to line up with the U-bolts, and I added 3 little studs sticking down so the basket doesn't slip off. To be honest, I grill more than I smoke, so it was a useful mod for me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

I find it nice to be able to see the ball in the valve when you are making adjustments
I think that is what he was talking about as well

Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I made my basket so I can mount it up under the top grate. First, I used U-bolts for holding the grates. I added 3 brackets to the basket to line up with the U-bolts, and I added 3 little studs sticking down so the basket doesn't slip off. To be honest, I grill more than I smoke, so it was a useful mod for me.

I actually saw yours yesterday or the day before and really liked the idea. Only problem is I don't know if I could pull that off without having a welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
I find it nice to be able to see the ball in the valve when you are making adjustments
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Why would you want to see the actualy ball instead of just the position of the handle? Is there something I am overlooking.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post

I might be missing something here but why would you need to see inside the valve instead of just the positioning of the handle?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I actually saw yours last night and really like the idea. I just don't know if I could pull something like that off without a welder.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Brilliant! Love it! An array of these could work for a number of things, charcoal basket, baffles, pans, grates...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I think you could easily do it without welding, as long as you can drill holes. Just bolt the brackets on to the basket, using fender washers so the bolt heads don't go through the mesh. The studs could simply be bolts sticking down with nuts to hold them. I bought the flat stock at Home Depot, and bent it in a vise. Doesn't have to be pretty.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Ok, another question. I am getting a reconditioned unlined drum. Is there any need to do a burn out or can I just go straight to seasoning? Also how do I season a drum? Normally I would just coat everything in shortening and then heat it but how would I coat the inside of the whole drum without covering myself in shortening in the process?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

That Basket and Grill mod is EXACTLY what I am going to do. It was rolling around in my head, and BAM! There is a picture of a perfect execution of what I wanted. Thanks MushCreek!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
N8man
Babbling Farker

That's half the fun right there...Greased Pig Mod!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Also how do I season a drum? Normally I would just coat everything in shortening and then heat it but how would I coat the inside of the whole drum without covering myself in shortening in the process?

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Ok, next question. I went to homedepot to get everything to do the build and all they had were tapered nipples (hahahaha, im immature and that sounds funny :D). Do you guys use these? Or where do you get ones that aren't?