MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #91
CAB980002
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Absolutely love my pellet grill/smokers. I started off with a less expensive Chargriller. I then moved on to a Smokin Brothers Premier 36 and I now also have a Smokin Brothers Premier 72!!! I like my Smokin Brothers so much I eventually became a dealer!

We cook everything on ours!!!! If we can put in the oven we will try it on the grill!

Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #92
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just a couple things, and a question, or two. I called camp chef , and ask if they had anything like a sliding direct grill insert, as it turns out they do, and they have had one sence about Christmas, but I can't find it anywhere on line, so they were going to send a photo of one, but it has not come yet, they cost about 40.00. The reason I called them was to tell them, I am having problems getting my grill to reach high temps, so they are sending me a new temp probe with directions for installing it, they are also sending me a bag of their pellets to try. The lady said they make two pellet cookers with this sliding direct insert but did not say which ones they are, so I ask does anyone have one that has it, and what model is it? If so can you post a photo of it, and does it do the job for you? Last question what do you think is the hottest burning pellet out there to your knowledge? Keeping in mind I am sure it depends a lot on your cooker. I watched a video of one that green mountain cookers have that looks like a very nice setup.
Dave

Old 04-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #93
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Just a couple things, and a question, or two. I called camp chef , and ask if they had anything like a sliding direct grill insert, as it turns out they do, and they have had one sence about Christmas, but I can't find it anywhere on line, so they were going to send a photo of one, but it has not come yet, they cost about 40.00. The reason I called them was to tell them, I am having problems getting my grill to reach high temps, so they are sending me a new temp probe with directions for installing it, they are also sending me a bag of their pellets to try. The lady said they make two pellet cookers with this sliding direct insert but did not say which ones they are, so I ask does anyone have one that has it, and what model is it? If so can you post a photo of it, and does it do the job for you? Last question what do you think is the hottest burning pellet out there to your knowledge? Keeping in mind I am sure it depends a lot on your cooker. I watched a video of one that green mountain cookers have that looks like a very nice setup.
Dave
I use B&B, I get them at Walmart for $9bucks. I hear Lumber Jack are great pellets. I have a Camp Chef Wood Wind and I can up to around 500 degrees. I made burgers the other night and they were sizzling, I had to turn it down to 350 as they were getting to hot.

Is this what you mean http://www.utvunderground.com/camp-c...ogy-55212.html

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #94
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

picked up an lg800 elite at costco for 700 bucks. my father runs louisiana and his family has made the switch from pitboss and traeger units too.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #95
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

So my wife informed me last night that she hates the food that I have been doing off the charcoal grill and she likes the pellet grill. I made unbelievable burgers on the PBC last night and I was mighty fond of them and thought she was going to love them, but like the last few cooks, she does not like the smokey flavor from the PBC. I myself love it. So this is going to mean that I am most likely going to have to do all the cooking on the Pellet for now on. Anybody else have anybody in their family not digging charcoal BBQ?

Old 04-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #96
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
So my wife informed me last night that she hates the food that I have been doing off the charcoal grill and she likes the pellet grill. I made unbelievable burgers on the PBC last night and I was mighty fond of them and thought she was going to love them, but like the last few cooks, she does not like the smokey flavor from the PBC. I myself love it. So this is going to mean that I am most likely going to have to do all the cooking on the Pellet for now on. Anybody else have anybody in their family not digging charcoal BBQ?
Only when lighter fluid was involved.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #97
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do not enjoy the flavor when using a snake or minion method, but I love charcoal grilling

Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #98
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
You should teach her to cook on the pellet grill.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #99
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

A couple racks today. Doing some competition style today.

I rubbed one down with Plowboys and Kosmos Q Killer Bee with Chipotle and the other I did with Oakridge Dominator and the Kosmos Q Killer Bee. Doing them with a 70% Hickory and 30% Cherry pellet.

Beautiful day, get out there and fire up the grills gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a2e.jpg (51.9 KB, 563 views)

Old 04-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #100
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a little more feedback on the MAK 2 star. Have done 4 cooks on it now. Tri-tip, Meatloaf, chicken wings and a spatchcock chicken. Very impressed with it. Holds temp great maybe a 5 degree swing at most. Turned out one of the best batches of chicken wings. At higher temps it cooks like a convection oven. Which gives nice crispy skin on the chicken. Picking up a Corned beef this week to try a batch of pastrami. Only thing I have noticed is there is a 10 degree difference between bottom grate and top one. Not a big deal, just have to adjust the temp setting when using it.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #101
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMosher View Post
Here is a little more feedback on the MAK 2 star. Have done 4 cooks on it now. Tri-tip, Meatloaf, chicken wings and a spatchcock chicken. Very impressed with it. Holds temp great maybe a 5 degree swing at most. Turned out one of the best batches of chicken wings. At higher temps it cooks like a convection oven. Which gives nice crispy skin on the chicken. Picking up a Corned beef this week to try a batch of pastrami. Only thing I have noticed is there is a 10 degree difference between bottom grate and top one. Not a big deal, just have to adjust the temp setting when using it.
Good to hear! My CC seems to hold temps well also. Usually bounces around 1-5 degrees, but can take a 10 to 20 degree swing time to time. I would love to cook on a calm day. Even though it was warm yesterday, it just always seems when I cook that it is windy. I would love just once to have a calm warm day and see if that has any affect on temps. But that is the price for living on the ocean!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #102
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

temp swings don't matter to me look at stick burner's or even ovens it is the average that counts. Having said that my Timberline 1300, after initially being disappointed with the purchase but now satisfied, holds temps right on the set number or within 2-3 degrees

Old 05-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #103
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
temp swings don't matter to me look at stick burner's or even ovens it is the average that counts. Having said that my Timberline 1300, after initially being disappointed with the purchase but now satisfied, holds temps right on the set number or within 2-3 degrees
Why were you dissatisfied? I looked at the Timberline and like it, but never cooked on it, so kinda hard to like it. I like the digital readout on it and the size. Just curious what you don’t like about it. I am buying a new pellet in July and have about 5 on my shortlist. The only reason I am getting one is because I need more room!

The Yoder is at the top of the list and the Memphis Elite is next. I like the dual pellet feed on the Memphis as I mix pellets allot.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #104
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

Quote:
Why were you dissatisfied? I looked at the Timberline and like it, but never cooked on it, so kinda hard to like it. I like the digital readout on it and the size. Just curious what you don’t like about it. I am buying a new pellet in July and have about 5 on my shortlist. The only reason I am getting one is because I need more room!

The Yoder is at the top of the list and the Memphis Elite is next.
There is a whole thread about issues with the timberline on here

Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #105
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron_si View Post
There is a whole thread about issues with the timberline on here
I will look it up! Thanks.

I seen this grill before and did not thing much of it, but watched a few videos on it and it is pretty cool. It is a Rec Tec Bullseye Kettle. Almost bought a Weber Kettle last weekend as my Home Depot has them on sale, but this little grill has my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhqvfEZHdak

Last edited by Rib Rub; 05-02-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote