MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #166
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been using Q Pellets since there is a dealer close to me. Been using a 50/50 mix of pecan and cherry for most low and slow cooks. For the high temp cooks been using hickory since it burns hotter. Still using hickory pellets that came with the MAK from Big Poppa Smokers. Think it is the BBQrs Delight. But happy with both brands.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #167
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMosher View Post
I have been using Q Pellets since there is a dealer close to me. Been using a 50/50 mix of pecan and cherry for most low and slow cooks. For the high temp cooks been using hickory since it burns hotter. Still using hickory pellets that came with the MAK from Big Poppa Smokers. Think it is the BBQrs Delight. But happy with both brands.
I have a bag of Pecan pellets I have never opened. Do you use Pecan for Ribs? I might have to try a 50/50 mix of Cherry and Pecan. I am usually 50/50 Cherry and Hickory for ribs and apple for Pork butts.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #168
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I have a bag of Pecan pellets I have never opened. Do you use Pecan for Ribs? I might have to try a 50/50 mix of Cherry and Pecan. I am usually 50/50 Cherry and Hickory for ribs and apple for Pork butts.
Can't say as far as pellets go but I use Pecan wood chunks in my charcoal cookers the majority of time because they provide a light smoke profile.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #169
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

The Pecan Cherry mix is fantastic on ribs and butts. I also use that blend on beef too. Pretty much anything low and slow it is great on. But on chicken you have to watch it because it can darken the skin, might turn off some people as being burnt. If you do the chicken low and slow.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #170
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

ever since cookinpellets whet up I have been using lumber jack supreme blend, I find the blends versatile and I don't want to store several various bags

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #171
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

A couple racks on the grill. Did one with Kosmos Q Killer Bee with Chipotle and Lamberts Sweet Rub O Mine and did the other with Killer Hogs The Rub and Killer Bee. Glazed with Kosmos Q Cherry Habanero and the other with Killer Hogs BBQ sauce. Really digging the Kosmos Q Cherry Habanero!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a67.jpg (43.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a68.jpg (33.3 KB, 456 views)

Old 06-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #172
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
In my opinion the 100% Hickory lumberjack pellets gives a lot better smoke profile over the b&b. What size bag is that for $20? I pay $8.99 for 20 lb bags of lumberjack locally.
In Tulsa? Who do you buy from? Atwood’s or Sutherland’s. Wish they carried more variety but Sutherland’s did have the hot pepper one but I didn’t buy a bag.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #173
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I really like the mesquite blend. Also use cherry and apple for chicken but It is a much lighter smoke profile than the hickory and mesquite. They have 100% pecan but I haven't found it local yet. I use hickory 90% of the time in my hopper then add the flavored pellets to my amaze n tube.
Should have read the whole thread. Sutherland’s on 21st had pecan last time I was in.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #174
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Just thought I would drop a picture of my new 2-piece heat diffuser for my YS640 in case anyone want to see what it looks like installed.

I ran my first smoke with it in and it worked like a charm. The door pulls completely out so you have full access to the fire pot for priming before the cook and cleaning afterwards. The old diffuser was a PIA to move so that I could vaccum out the ash. I'm debating getting some GrillGrates and test getting the YS640 up to it's max temp to see how it cooks stakes and how the taste compares with my Weber. I might just give the current grates a real good cleaning and see if that works.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #175
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
Just thought I would drop a picture of my new 2-piece heat diffuser for my YS640 in case anyone want to see what it looks like installed.

I ran my first smoke with it in and it worked like a charm. The door pulls completely out so you have full access to the fire pot for priming before the cook and cleaning afterwards. The old diffuser was a PIA to move so that I could vaccum out the ash. I'm debating getting some GrillGrates and test getting the YS640 up to it's max temp to see how it cooks stakes and how the taste compares with my Weber. I might just give the current grates a real good cleaning and see if that works.

GG work pretty good with the yoder...most of these were done at set temp of 450 or so and GG’s:

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #176
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

I cannot find a good link to it, but Broil King now has a pellet version of the smoke series. If you look it up can you tell me what you think? Never seen a controller like it and the auger runs under the cooker...
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #177
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Is this it? https://www.waltonsinc.com/broil-kin...ellet-grill-xl
It has some interesting features, but at $1200, I would probably go Yoder, Mak, or Blazin Grills. That is the first rotisserie, I have seen in a pellet grill. Interesting, but based on all the pellet grills I have seen. I think it would be more like having your food spun in an oven, than actual rotisserie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
I cannot find a good link to it, but Broil King now has a pellet version of the smoke series. If you look it up can you tell me what you think? Never seen a controller like it and the auger runs under the cooker...
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #178
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah thats the one, had trouble loading that page on my phone. I admit the rotisserie is a bit odd. The exhaust stack has a damper on it could that be used to get more smoke flavor? Also cast iron grates sound like a pain.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #179
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Had a skating seminar for my oldest daughter today. So we stopped by the Yoder dealer, YS640 is impressive in person, combo package with big shelf and grates but no 2 piece diffuser. Now the salesman mentioned a new Traeger this summer with 1/4 inch steel as a direct competitor to some Yoder models. Can any Brethren confirm this?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:33 PM   #180
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
Had a skating seminar for my oldest daughter today. So we stopped by the Yoder dealer, YS640 is impressive in person, combo package with big shelf and grates but no 2 piece diffuser. Now the salesman mentioned a new Traeger this summer with 1/4 inch steel as a direct competitor to some Yoder models. Can any Brethren confirm this?
If you go Yoder, I would pay for the 2 piece diffuser. It's a really nice feature, especially if you are going to use it for direct grilling. I think it is absurd that they haven't made that a standard feature, or at least an upgrade option, instead of making you buy both.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->