18.5 WSM VS Davy Crockett/Pitboss ~$300

Get the WSM. I had the 22 also at one point but it didn't run as good as the 18.5. If you want to make it even easier later you can add a guru. It seems like it's not if it's when you will have an issue with a pellet cooker

I'm having a hell of a time deciding between these things.

Pellet grills having moving parts and being powered always makes me worried; A WSM should last virtually forever.

What do you think? I have a cheap offset and a 22in kettle. Offset is a pita to deal with and i'm having issues with smoke flavor/space with the kettle.

I'm thinking the WSM may be the way to go, any DC/Pitboss classic/700fb and WSM owners want to chime in with any issues they had?

Thanks for any info!

I have a WSM, a kettle and I recently bought a GMG DC while they were on sale. My first cook on the DC was a rib eye roast that turned out very well. Everyone loved the bark and all I did was rub it down with Q-Salt the night before. Since then I have done a fatty and some chicken with good results. Each time I used Lumberjack pellets.

I really like the DC for the convenience and performance. I plan on using it quite a bit for small quick cooks. For larger cooks, I will use one of the other cookers.

One thing I have noticed is that the DC seems to have a little trouble with cold temps. A blanket over the top would probably take care of that.

As you probably know, the DC is WiFi enabled and to tell the truth it is really handy to be able to monitor pit temp and food temp on my tablet.

I’ve got a WSM 18.5 and a Performer. Between these two I cans do just about anything I need, but keep in mind I rarely cook for more that 6-8 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I first started smoking on a 18" WSM and did put out some good food on it but I felt it was limited on size and towards the end of my use of it, I was having temp control issues and not sure why. I got a PBC after that and like it hands down better than the WSM. I no longer have a WSM and still have the PBC.

I don't have a pellet grill so I can't help you there but the concerns you have about them is one of the reasons I don't own one and am not interested in one at this time.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I have 3 webers; 22 kettle, gasser, 22.5. I can pretty much do anything I want with them. Granted, I'm not cooking comps, but they crank out some great food. I love the 22.5....I can do--at least--4 Butts, multiple racks etc,--at one time.

Personally, I've never had temp issues with it. Mine loves to settle in around 250-260 and I let it ride. Been through several overnight cooks.

I have a WSM, a kettle and I recently bought a GMG DC while they were on sale. My first cook on the DC was a rib eye roast that turned out very well. Everyone loved the bark and all I did was rub it down with Q-Salt the night before. Since then I have done a fatty and some chicken with good results. Each time I used Lumberjack pellets.

I really like the DC for the convenience and performance. I plan on using it quite a bit for small quick cooks. For larger cooks, I will use one of the other cookers.

One thing I have noticed is that the DC seems to have a little trouble with cold temps. A blanket over the top would probably take care of that.

As you probably know, the DC is WiFi enabled and to tell the truth it is really handy to be able to monitor pit temp and food temp on my tablet.

I'd love the convenience of a pellet grill, but the second I need it and it doesn't fire up due to some hardware fault - that all goes out the window.

If I can get the flavor I want out of my 22in kettle, maybe i'll look at the 26 just for space and versatility.

Just like what was mentioned in an earlier post, place more chunks/chips at the beginning and middle of the cook to get a deeper smokey flavor.

Back