MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree that a seasoned cook can achieve good results with the stuff it just don't mean he's gonna eat it. If it was my only choice for my personal meal I would make do with a NESCO roaster & a George Foreman first.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Personally I only notice the chem smell in KBB when it's lighting up. After the briqs are hot the stinky blue smoke goes away. That said, I don't use it for everything. It's also kind of a pain when using it for long cooks as in order to avoid that smell you have to prelight a chimney full every time you add more coal to the cooker. I deal with it though as I' get pretty good results with my Q overall. I'm not a KBB user exclusively however as I also use lump for my Akorn, and and after using it to "feed" my last long cook in my horizontal drum I think I'll be using it for long cooks from now on and save the KBB for shorter cooks and tailgating. I also love virtual lack of ash buildup with lump vs. the mountain of ash you get with briqs during long cooks. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, you just have to use the right tool for the job!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Since we're discussing charcoal I thought I'd share my experiences with Kroger Brand Lump- Used several bags now and it's very good stuff, size and wood quality is good, burns great and reasonably priced.

Just thought I'd share cuz if you shop for your meat there you don't have to make a separate trip to get coal.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #34
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Since we're discussing charcoal I thought I'd share my experiences with Kroger Brand Lump- Used several bags now and it's very good stuff, size and wood quality is good, burns great and reasonably priced.

Just thought I'd share cuz if you shop for your meat there you don't have to make a separate trip to get coal.
yeah i was gonna buy some this week. its .87 cents cheaper than RO in my area

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #35
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

nothing wrong with Kbb in my book.. or lump.. i use both I'm a stickburner

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
aawa
Babbling Farker

I will agree that it is the cook and not the charcoal.

My friend brought over some match light to my house. I looked at him and told him to get rid of it. Well needless to say after drinking all night long he left it at my house.

I'm not one to throw something away, so I decided to use it to cook up some burgers and hot dogs. I just made sure that I didn't add anything to my kettle until the chemicals had burned off completely. The burgers and dogs turned out great. The coals though didn't have much life after allowing the chemicals to burn off. Maybe 1-1.5hrs tops.

Cooks need to learn how to overcome problems that might occur in their cooks. Knowing work arounds will help save you trips to the store as well as save meals that aren't going perfectly. I like to think of myself as a McGuyver cook. I look what I have in my pantry/fridge/freezer and then make a meal with what I have. Very few of my meals are completely planned out before I go to the store.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #37
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
my theory with KBB and i have tested is this. Im thinking that as the fat drips on the charcoal and vaporizes, the chemicals in KBB may react to the lipids from the meats causing a foul taste, but when the lipids/fats drip onto hot lump, there are no chemicals for it to react with. Maybe the borax in the kbb doesnt like fat. it is an irratent to tissues and fat is a tissue... just an idea
You know, that may explain why I don't notice it with indirect cooking but do with direct. I'm not sure if it is the fat vaporizing with the chemicals or something to do with locally cooling the charcoal. But off taste maybe something to do with the fat drippings? ??? Reasonable theory. Of course, kbb is primarily used for grilling. ... though I like lump for grilling too.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

My friend brought over some match light to my house. I looked at him and told him to get rid of it. Well needless to say after drinking all night long he left it at my house.

I'm not one to throw something away, so I decided to use it to cook up some burgers and hot dogs. I just made sure that I didn't add anything to my kettle until the chemicals had burned off completely. The burgers and dogs turned out great. The coals though didn't have much life after allowing the chemicals to burn off. Maybe 1-1.5hrs tops.

Cooks need to learn how to overcome problems that might occur in their cooks. Knowing work arounds will help save you trips to the store as well as save meals that aren't going perfectly. I like to think of myself as a McGuyver cook. I look what I have in my pantry/fridge/freezer and then make a meal with what I have. Very few of my meals are completely planned out before I go to the store.
BAN HIM!!! hahahahaha Just kidding. I hear you. I believe to be a good cook means to overcome various cooking situations on the fly. That's what it's all about with Q!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

I've used KBB exclusively since I got my WSM. I know exactly what it is going to do every time I fire up. I personally don't smell or taste it on my food and you can't beat the price. I am quite content.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #40
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
I've used KBB exclusively since I got my WSM. I know exactly what it is going to do every time I fire up. I personally don't smell or taste it on my food and you can't beat the price. I am quite content.
wsm has a water bowl which will catch the fat, which means no fat dripping on coals. i think we are onto something here. fat drippings and kbb dont mix.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Shoot I just boil mines. Fall off the ball good evah time!!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
It's also kind of a pain when using it for long cooks as in order to avoid that smell you have to prelight a chimney full every time you add more coal to the cooker.

I use used kbb in those situations.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
BeerBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

I have a confession: when I was starting with my $30 Walmart grill (that lasted a surprisingly long time) I always used match light. This is the same experience I had. By the time they had burned to the point that I was comfortable cooking with them there was very little time to actually cook.

Also, kudos for the Macgyver reference!
BeerBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #44
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
So long as it isn't that stinky KBB for the source I agree. That stuff give me indigestion.
You mean you don't like cedar,alder & fir, + whatever they glue it togather with?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
It seems like this thread is having the opposite effect. My premise is that it has been demonstrated that a good cook can get good results with kbb. My humble opinion is that blaming the charcoal for bad results is like blaming the type of cooker. It is the cook, not the charcoal. The type of charcoal is probably one of those last 5% things.

I can accept all the personal preferences for using lump. Ash, heat, belief of taste are all good, acceptable reasons to use lump. You like lump, I got no issues with you. I use both myself.

But, those that blame a drum or such not working correctly on not using lump, well, I think you got a few screws loose.

Where are all those kbb defenders we normally see pop-up?
Since I just bought 510 pounds of it, I must be happy with it -- or nuts.

I only smell bad smells when my KBB is lighting up. Once it is up to temperature and burning efficiently, the smoke smells fine. The KBB is only providing the heat for my cooks. The wood chunks provide the smoke flavors.

If my friends are too busy shoving que into their pie-holes to talk to each other, I figure the charcoal didn't mess anything up.

I do use lump for some of my grilling. It is especially good for steaks. But, like my cookers and tools, it is just a means to an end. If I use KBB ten times with good results, and the eleventh time, the food tastes bad, how can I blame the KBB? Same goes for any fuel.

If I fark up a cook, it's my fault.

Well, sometimes it actually is the beer's fault, which I still say is more important than the charcoal -- in the right quantities.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->