yesterday's pulled pork (w/ pron. sorta)

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been needing to make up some pulled pork for a while, for an upcoming gig. So last week I defrosted about 30 lbs of butts, to smoke yesterday.

I had planned on injecting them the night before, but as always happens something came up and I didn't get around to it, so these were done with rub only.

And to make matters worse, due to a major oversight while at the store (namely my scatter-brain couldn't remember), I ran out of my rub of choice, and only got two of the four butts rubbed with McCormick's cinnamon chipotle rub. The other two had to get my backup... Traeger's pork and poultry shake.

McCormick rubbed pair
IMAG0038.jpg

Traeger rubbed pair
IMAG0039.jpg

Bandera warming up (you can't really see it, but there's thin blue coming out)
IMAG0042.jpg

This was about 3 hours in, when I opened it to check on them.
IMAG0044.jpg

It stalled out at 143 degrees for about an hour or so. Pic taken while spritzing.
IMAG0045.jpg

It finished up right around 12.5 hours when it hit the 195 mark. Normally I would have let it go a little longer, but I was getting tired at that point. So I towel wrapped and rested in the cooler for about two hours then I pulled them.

The Traeger spiced one was very lightly flavored, mostly tasted the pork, but it was good. The Mccormick one had a nice hint of cinnamon at first, with just a touch of spicy chipotle on the finish. Was very good.

Not that you can tell much difference, but this is the traeger one
IMAG0047.jpg

And this is the Mccormick one
IMAG0048.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, I had to do them all with my cellphone, since I loaned my good camera to my friend for his daughter's graduation.

Jealous. That's about the one thing I didn't cook this weekend. Looks great!! :thumb:

Back