Calling all Traeger users

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I picked up my new Traeger 075 today and it's sitting in my backyard. I'm cranking it up this Saturday and Sunday.

My SIL is coming home for a few days before he ships off to Iraq. I'm having a whole house full of friends and family over on Sunday. The request is chicken and tri-tip.

I have never smoked a tri-tip and that's the request. I have grilled a ton of them. Even a little indirect on the kettle. But never low and slow.

So I need some advice. This bbq has got to be perfect.

Tips...advice.

(Please, I know about the darkside...pellets...cheating. This is an important family meal, so please help me out.)

Grill, either direct or indirect, the tri-tip...don't go low and slow.
Country has been reading my post again. I like a sear and then indirect to 135 but go to 140-145 cause most turn their nose up at red.

Thanks guys, but I know how to sear them and do indirect.

Hey Larry, congrats on your new addition. You won't regret it. Did yours come with the digital thermo control or the L-M-H one? I would season with Salt Pepper and Garlic Powder, fire up the traeger to M or 300 and cook to 125 then foil for an hour.
Good Luck and looking forward to some pron.

Thanks guys, but I know how to sear them and do indirect.

I have smoked em, dont like them that way. It's a piece of meat that lends itself to a higher heat and faster cook.

I am not sure what you are looking to gain by low heat. If its smoke flavor, I would put them in the pit right out of the frig, put your unit on smoke for 2 hours. After that turn it up to 225* and cook it to your desired internal temp.

I'm going to smoke them at 275 degrees until internal temp reaches 125 and then sear them on the kettle.

That's what I'm going to do...

You don't always say what your thinking. Oh wait forgot I was talking about Bentley, who doesn't think about what he is saying. :twisted::biggrin:

new_08_bbq075.jpg
Is that a blister in the paint I see?:biggrin:

I picked up my new Traeger 075 today and it's sitting in my backyard. I'm cranking it up this Saturday and Sunday.

My SIL is coming home for a few days before he ships off to Iraq. I'm having a whole house full of friends and family over on Sunday. The request is chicken and tri-tip.

I have never smoked a tri-tip and that's the request. I have grilled a ton of them. Even a little indirect on the kettle. But never low and slow.

So I need some advice. This bbq has got to be perfect.

Tips...advice.

(Please, I know about the darkside...pellets...cheating. This is an important family meal, so please help me out.)
I do rep work for trager camm me and i can walk you thu this no problem. dont be afraid of the pellet its your friend...lol

Damn Larry i hunted down this thread just knowing you'd be showing it off. What's up?

Damn Larry i hunted down this thread just knowing you'd be showing it off. What's up?

What's up? Life is what's up...

The bbq is tomorrow. Pictures tomorrow night.

Today, was trimming trees, spreading bark, planting bushes and pepper plants. Sweeping the patio, fixing the fence... need I go on.

All the while, the new pit is just sitting there looking at me.

Excuses, excuses. Did you rub it down?

It has been rubbed down all over the inside.

65 pounds of pork butts are rubbed down and injected.
2 tri-tips are ready
2 dozen MOINK Balls
and
2 dozen ABTs are ready.

Back